Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some advice lost my clutch pedal pulling into work, what broke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM clutch hydrauliscs suck! lol

I'm at work so cant really look at it too much, but while pulling in I had an asshat in a school bus doing an austin powers style U-Turn so I rev'd it up and dumped the clutch went a lil sideays and pulled into work. Problem was, my pedal is laying on the floor like a limp noodle. I can pull it up but it just falls again.

I have suspected a bad slave or something for a while as its hard to get it into 1st or reverse and it felt like the clutch wasnt completely releasing on hard shifts sometimes.

I am not very familiar with the hydraulic setup though, what all could be broken? Feels like I may have lost the fluid as the pedal is just kinda laying there. SLave go out possibly?

Wondering what this may cost as well, any guesses?

99 Camaro T56

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 05-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

OK If I pump it up when its in neutral it comes back after about 5-6 pumps. Feels normal then. Once I actually put it in gear and let the clutch out I lose the pedal again though?? It will pump up again, but I keep losing the pedal when I put it in gear, the pedal just doesnt come bakc up when its in gear. If I pump it in gear it comes back though?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a master cylinder problem.

I had the pedal pop to the floor on me once and not come up, turns out the hydraulic line going to the slave from the master popped off the master cyl.

Obviously not the same thing, but still think its a master cyl. issue.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

I checked the level, and when I pull the rubber thing out the level seems to be kinda low, couple inches down from the top edge of the filler tube thing. The black rubber insert looks like iT would just touch the fluid when it is put in.

I dont get why it pumps up fine and is nice and springy again, but once I put it in gear I lose the pedal immediatly. The clutch grabs, but the pedal just doesnt come back up? If I start pumping it I get it back again though. Stays feeling fine in neatraul, but again once it goes in gear, dead pedal and the pumping fun begins again.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Yeha no I'm empty, leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing, new slave here I come I guess. Sucks as this thing is coming out in a month or two for a th400.