Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec or Fidanza for LS7 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec or Fidanza for LS7 clutch

Sounds like everyone is talking about the Fidanza flywheel and I've heard no mention about the Spec flywheel for stock style LS2/LS7 corvette clutches. Does anyone have an opinion on the Spec flywheel?

http://www.lmperformance.com/16114/74.html
Old 06-08-2008, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i went with ls2 flywheel, a buddy of mine told me with the fidanza you really have to launch at a higher rpm or you will bog bad because of how light it is and im still on a 10 bolt
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

That's some very good input DJ. I will take that into consideration. But my car is not going to be built for hard launching but more for roll on power. Like coming out of a corner and accelerating away. So I think the lighter flywheel might just be an advantage.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lighter flywheels are more advantageous for road race/auto-x and daily drivers.

heavier flywheels are better for drag cars & launching hard.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to launch harder but the overall transfer of power to the wheels is similar. Most who have aluminum and drag race with it say you have to launch more aggressively but its more consistent. So unless you are leaving on the limiter you should be ok.

Also its been said that it more difficult to take off from a stop at all. I can say that isn't the case. I have one in my CTSV and the flywheel and clutch assembly that I replaced was 50 lbs heavier than what it is now. It's also over 4000lbs with me and a few people in it. It takes off just as easy and it feels no different than it did before, with the exception of a little clutch chatter, but that has nothing to do with the flywheel.

Acceleration is noticeably different. Some have said they can really feel it in all gears, but I really only tell in first. The lower the gear that you are in the more affect lightweight flywheel and clutch assemblies will have. And some have even seen 10rwhp on a fourth gear dyno pull. I made 402 rwhp with only bolt-ons in my CTSV so I would say that some of that had to have came from the flywheel swap.

Jon