Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Six Speeds Inc Face Plated Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Six Speeds Inc Face Plated Trans

So after a long hard winter, filled with many new mods, I finally got the car off the stands today. It started to poor down rain within about 30 seconds of the tires hitting the ground. Slicks, skinnies and no wipers

Anyway, after the monsoon stopped and the roads dried up, I took it out for a little ride. A short one due to a local law enforcement officer making a u turn when he saw me go by.

This is the nicest, quickest shifting manual I have ever driven. There is no hesatation, no synchro notchiness, shifter justs "clicks" into the next gear.

Too bad the car is not running well. Think it might be old gas. I'll get a vid up once I get the car sorted out for all you guy's who are thinking about the face plated option...
Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
CARTEK Racing

NICE!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

Faceplated transmissions shift awesome on the up shift . I personally do not suggest them to my customers simply because they are not very street friendly for down shifting .
Old 06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
Faceplated transmissions shift awesome on the up shift . I personally do not suggest them to my customers simply because they are not very street friendly for down shifting .
Very true but, as I have learned, it can be done. I also shoulld have put a disclaimer in the post that my car does see very little street time. I even like my locker...

My point was that I have driven many manual trans cars. From old school M22crash boxes to Ferrari 355's. This thing, on the upshift, rocks...

I'll post up a vid in a week or so of street driving it. Both the good and the bad...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad to hear you are happy with it.

I drive my face plated tranny in my 89 coupe a few days a week. I haven't had one problem with mine since I built it. The trick is to downshift as quickly as you upshift and you won't have a problem. And of course, don't miss a gear!

Scott (SixSpeedsInc builder)
Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been daily driving mine since February. I'm straight shifting mine on the upshift by pulling into neutral and letting the engine idle down before pulling the next gear. After driving it for a month or two using the clutch constantly for the upshifts, I'm now able to speed match most of the time perfectly for the next gear change. I only use the clutch for taking off and the 5th and 6th gear change now. It sometimes matches perfect and the shift ring **** hits against the gear ring and it doesnt fully go into the next gear till I touch the pedal again put its really no big deal. I'm happy with it. For downshifting, I go to neutral, rev the motor, push in the clutch, and take the lower gear, i.e. 4-3, 3-2 etc. I'd have to say the locker is harder to get used to than the trans. Backing up with the wheel cranked and then pushing in the clutch while the cars still rolling backwards makes some seriously nasty sounds. No doubt its whoop *** for the WOT upshifts!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thats cool. I would use it on the street too
Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

do these face plated transmissions last when daily driven? what is the longevity on one of these
Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
do these face plated transmissions last when daily driven? what is the longevity on one of these
This is not a daily driver transmission.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

i have one from six speed inc .....it rocks its the only way to go if you want to go fast in a 6spd ! very possitive shifts.....lightning fast .....autos beware daily driver would be tough
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It can be easily daily driven after a couple of weeks getting used to it. It obviously isnt for anyone who cant tolerate a locker, or any suspension parts that are noisy. It makes the car a challenge to drive for sure. I do drive mine every single day, rain or shine, and even in the snow a minimum of 15 miles. BTW, I've found that slowing down to a light or stop sign with the trans in neutral and the clutch OUT, I can do a last minute push in the clutch and engage 1st at about 3-5 MPH without any clunking. This eliminates the need to go to 5th to stop the rotation action in the trans after I've come to a complete stop so I can engage 1st without a loud bang. Again I'd like to reiterate that it isnt a trans for anyone who's wanting good street manners out of their car.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

also a little trick from a stop is to put the car in 5th then into 1st theres no clunking ever cause 5th has sycros still u slow the gears down ........amber told me that from six speed inc ......calll her she can answer any questions for you there the best around
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

here is a video of me at the track a couple of weeks ago ......(faceplated trans)

http://media.putfile.com/Camaro-third-to-last-run
Old 03-29-2009, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I am bring this from the dead but can anyone describe to me what exactly is a face plated T56?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I know I am bring this from the dead but can anyone describe to me what exactly is a face plated T56?
http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate.htm

Replaces the synchros with engagement lugs.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Well now that that question was answered for me. Why does it make downshifts hard?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Well now that that question was answered for me. Why does it make downshifts hard?
You don't have synchronizers to rev-match the shaftspeeds. So unless the driver knows and is practiced in rev-matching the motor/drivetrain, the downshifts will be hard to engage.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
You don't have synchronizers to rev-match the shaftspeeds. So unless the driver knows and is practiced in rev-matching the motor/drivetrain, the downshifts will be hard to engage.
here is where I am also confused...

How can you do that mechanicaly?

I udnerstand rev-matching to prevent rear wheel lock up on a downshift while road racing lets say. You "blip" the throttle as you come off the clutch to bring the engine RPM up to match the RPM needed for a smooth transition into a new gear...

However, How can you match input shaft RPM?

Think about it, and if I am wrong, please explain cause then I am really confused...

If you are driving at 50mph and you downshift from 4th to 2nd. You would depress the clutch, shift out of 4th and put the shifter into 2nd then release the clutch. Even if you blip the throttle at that time, the clutch is disengaged, so it is not accelorating the imput shaft at all, there is no connection from the engine to the transmission, so the increase in engine RPM will not equate to an increase of input shaft RPM. Am I wrong?

Unless, you double clutch...

If you press the clutch pedal, put the car in nutral from 4th, release the clutch pedal, rev up the motor to increase the input shaft rpm, then press the clutch down again, and shift into 2nd, release the clutch pedal and continue on your mary way.

If I have this wrong somehow please let me know... I only drove my Tick-Shift faceplated T56 around a parking lot thus far, and downshifting from 2nd to 1st and 3rd to 2nd was fine at low rpm [2500 or so] w/o any rev matching... just the typical faceplated transmission "clunk" lol
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

You are right, the correct term is double clutching. For smooth downshift action on a face plated T56 you have to double clutch everything except 6-5 downshift.
Just rev-matcing will not do it.

Quick Reply: Six Speeds Inc Face Plated Trans