Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTF am I doing wrong?

Old 06-14-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF am I doing wrong?

Drilled a hole ... hooked up the Mity-Vac... pumped 3 (yes 3) 12 oz bottles through and still have tons of air.

What do I do now?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Master maybe leaking air, Could be the line. Is everything sealed up right.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

99% sure that somehow we ended up blowing the slave. When we first started mity-vac, I didn't explain to my buddy not to bring it past 10-12hg. Turns out, we had gone to 20ish and well...

Pretty sure that's when **** hit the fan

Not knowing this really, I started to bleed the system. I would pump it up to 10hg and it would then the gauge would slowly sink down. Again, after 3 12 oz bottles... still had air.

Tightened up the bleeder and the clutch pedal is DEAD. Pulled it off the ramps and left about 12 oz on the ground. (coming from the bellhousing drain).

These are the stories I see on here that I am laughing at the other schmoes... Now I am the schmoe
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blown slave, sorry to hear!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calm down man, you didn't blow your slave. Please explain how you were doing this, where was the mighty vac, what was attached to the bleeder, and how were you adding the fluid? Also are the slave and master new or did they have fluid in them from before?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by P Mack
Calm down man, you didn't blow your slave. Please explain how you were doing this, where was the mighty vac, what was attached to the bleeder, and how were you adding the fluid? Also are the slave and master new or did they have fluid in them from before?
The slave and master have about 5,000 miles (give or take) on them. The vacuum was being applied to the bleeder. I was adding fluid through the reservoir while my buddy pumped it through.

It was pumped to 20+ Hg of vacuum and then lost the ability to hold vacuum. This tells me (along with the major leak) that the slave is in fact been torn up. If you can tell me another test short of bleeding it for another 3 hours.. I am down, but still think it's the slave.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

When you say your buddy "pumped it through" you are talking about pumping the mightyvac or the clutch pedal? Don't bleed it for another three hours, change your method. What I do is hose from the brake fluid attached to the bleeder valve, then apply vacuum through the clutch reservoir. That way you are using the air's tendency to rise to your advantage so you don't get pockets of trapped air. I've done it this way several times and it has worked perfectly every time. Of course I did this with the slave hanging free before putting the transmission in, but since you cut a hole you should be able to do the same thing.

I've seen the inside of a slave cylinder and that is a big, tough seal. I don't think 20inhg is going to blow it, especially considering the pressures it sees when you press the clutch pedal. I've had 20inhg on my system with no damage.

Also, you should not be able to hold vacuum with your method, the vacuum should bleed off as the fluid is sucked freely into the mityvac.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Pumped it through with the mighty vac. There was NO pedal pumping needed to get the fluid flowing through.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, I didn't see earlier that you are leaking fluid too. I guess it could be a blown slave. Here is my experience with a blown slave. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/256791-2nd-blown-slave-2-days.html#post2261054 In my case it was cracked so any fluiid added to the reservoir was on the ground in a couple seconds. Is your reservoir holding fluid or does it drop steadily when you add it with the bleeder closed? If you close the bleeder and fill up the reservoir with fluid will it hold a vacuum at the reservoir?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by P Mack
Damn, I didn't see earlier that you are leaking fluid too. I guess it could be a blown slave. Here is my experience with a blown slave. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261054 In my case it was cracked so any fluiid added to the reservoir was on the ground in a couple seconds. Is your reservoir holding fluid or does it drop steadily when you add it with the bleeder closed? If you close the bleeder and fill up the reservoir with fluid will it hold a vacuum at the reservoir?
It drops with the bleeder closed.... Not a big deal really. I have done 4 of these in the last several months for other's. Pull trans back, replace slave, bleed... reinstall.

Gotten to the point now that I can swap one out in a matter of 2 hours without a lift or power tools. Only shitty thing is having to buy a new one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF am I doing wrong?