Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What's wrong with my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my clutch?

The noise sounds similar to an Indian war cry: "Woo woo woo woo."

I ocassionally hear the noise when the car is stopped and out of gear with the clutch engaged (pedal up). The noise persists when I disengage the clutch (pedal down). Once the clutch is engaged in first gear, the sound stops.

There might be clutch slippage at high rpm but I can't really tell.

Is this the sign of a bad throwout bearing? What else could be wrong?
Old 04-05-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: What's wrong with my clutch?

Our WS6 made that noise too. GM dealership replaced the throw-out bearing. The noise stopped when they replaced the bearing. I would bet thats your problem too. When I had Mikey at Rapid Motorsports do the build up on my 99 SS, see sig, I had him replace my SPEC stage 3 carbon clutch with a RAM 6130/402 VDS clutch. The SPEC was just put in my SS a few months before. I over do my breakins on clutches. When the clutch is installed I will drive the car locally for about 3-4 weeks and heat cycle for the first week. The first day I take the car out and I drive it between 25-30 minute intervals. When I get to 25-30 minutes I pull back into the driveway and let the car cool for 2-3 hours. I do this 1-2 times per day for the first week. This driving consists of nothing put stop and go in heavy traffic areas close enough that I can make it home within 25-30 minutes. I do this for 1 week. After the first week I drive the car as much as possible, all stop and go, nothing over 50mph. I average about 700-850 miles of break-in. I know thats overkill but I am not rich and I have a lot of time. I am only 26 years old and I don't plan on dieing soon; therefore, I can spend extra time to properly break-in my new clutch. Anyway I knew the SPEC wouldn't hold my new H/C. The SPEC came with a new GM flywheel and I also purchased new hydraulics at the same time. When the service dept. replaced my thro-out bearing, I had the technician install my old SPEC clutch instead of the 28k mile old stock clutch. The technician is a good friend so he didn't mind. It only cost me a dinner. I have the old OEM clutch and flywheel, just in case there was ever a problem...for warranty sake it could be swapped back in. But the WS6 in out of warranty now, by AGE....dammit!

Sorry post is so long..just replace the bearing and your noise will be gone. If I were you I would upgrade the clutch to. Won't cost anymore in labor, why not!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: What's wrong with my clutch?

Thanks for the reply.

As for the new clutch, I wouldn't save money on labor because I do the work myself. I will look into though since I'll be down there.