Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans removal virgin

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans removal virgin

What's up. I'm planning on doing a clutch and flywheel swap myself for the first time. It will be done in my driveway with jacks, jackstands, and a trans jack. Two quick questions:
(1) Do I need to support my engine after I remove the trans? The trans will be out for at least 2 days.
(2) Is it necessary to lift the rear also?

Ive searched this topic like a ****, but I would appreciate ANY tips/advice on a clutch swap done at home. I WANT to do this myself, Im not being cheap. I will buy whatever I need. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

you should not need to suport the engine after the trans is out. it would be good if you can get the rear in the air also. Just take your time and torque the flywheel bolts and presure plate bolts. 74 lb for fw and 54 for pp..with lock tite on both...
Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

P.S. If you don't get the rear up in the air, have something to catch your transmission fluid that will leak out the tailshaft.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) might want to leave the engine supported while the car is not being worked on to lessen the stress on the mounts. It's ideal to let the transmission sag in order to get at the upper bolts on the bellhousing, best done with a couple feet of extensions.
2) It is not necessary to lift the rear end

pulling it out is the easy part

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 06-23-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
1) might want to leave the engine supported while the car is not being worked on to lessen the stress on the mounts. It's ideal to let the transmission sag in order to get at the upper bolts on the bellhousing, best done with a couple feet of extensions.
2) It is not necessary to lift the rear end

pulling it out is the easy part
Letting it sag a little helps getting those top bolts tremendously. Make sure you have one hell of an extension, or a few strung together to get those top bolts.

You're right, pulling it out IS the easy part . Getting it lined up and back up there is harder and more of a workout than you think .
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

It's not necessary to lift the rear, but I found it made it lot easier with the whole car in the air as high as I could get it. Like mentioned before, getting it out isn't the problem, getting it to go back in will make you extremely pissed.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.installuniversity.com has a writeup of a clutch replacement. I vote to get the car on 4 jackstands, makes it easier. You have to undo the shifter, the driveshaft, the torque arm and the y-pipe connection to the trans.

This helps as well for torque specs:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1
Attached Thumbnails Trans removal virgin-torque-specs.gif  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id reccomend draining the fluid out of the trans before taking it out otherwise you might be laying in a shitty mess. I know it was unecessary for me to remove the center console. mines 1998 and that would have saved some time.. Make sure you have air tools handy
Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Teching In

http://zmydust.com/lt1clutch.html

http://zmydust.com/converter.html
Old 06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found it a little easier if you have a second person when youre putting it back in. Have one guide the transmission in and the other move the crank bolt with a wrench
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I have a few...1) You already have a trans jack so you are ahead of me.
2) Have lots of extensions.
3)If for some reason you are not replacing the slave(YOU SHOULD REPLACE IT) you can pull the trans back a bit and remove it with a 10mm wrench to avoid bleeding the air out...some bleeding willl still be required...and dont overtighten these bolts, they are torqued to something like 25 INCH pounds.Check all torques and follow them.
4)Remove the shifter...not just the handle, the entire thing, then put masking tape or something over the hole to keep debris from getting in there.
5) Be carefull when removing the driveshaft, make sure the car isnt relying on the parking brake to hold it from rolling.
6) Carefull when removing the torque arm from the trans that it isnt "loaded", a jackstand under it is a good idea.
7) Support the oil pan with a scissor jack or something.
8)When installing it DONT FORCE IT, if it doesnt want to go in then its not lined up right.
9) Make sure your mother is not around cause some foul words and phrases are bound to be heard.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

i have done this about 6 or 7 times too many but.. its not to bad just get the car as high as you can cause this really helps with re installing it... and drain the tranny or get some plugs.. this will be great so you dont have to lay in the fluid when it drains...
and this sounds dumb but almost everyone does it... DO NOT FORGET TO RELEASE THE CLUTCH FORK before you try and pull the tranny off.. cause no matter how hard you try it will NOT come off without doing this .. and it will save you alot of cussing..
hope this helps
Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93z28_6spd
i have done this about 6 or 7 times too many but.. its not to bad just get the car as high as you can cause this really helps with re installing it... and drain the tranny or get some plugs.. this will be great so you dont have to lay in the fluid when it drains...
and this sounds dumb but almost everyone does it... DO NOT FORGET TO RELEASE THE CLUTCH FORK before you try and pull the tranny off.. cause no matter how hard you try it will NOT come off without doing this .. and it will save you alot of cussing..
hope this helps
eh.... wtf is a clutch fork? you mean that lever that cable clutches use?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by massls1guy
eh.... wtf is a clutch fork? you mean that lever that cable clutches use?

I believe thats in reference to an LT1 car only...
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I love you guys. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Launching!

I just walked in from stabbing the tranny back in I find it easier to take a small jack and position a board under the crank pulley or somwhere in the middle of the motor a jack up lightly. What this does is make the tranny go in the same way it came out Oh yea get ready to cause **** happens. Good luck remember to drain the fluid.