Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Will not shift to second at high RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will not shift to second at high RPM's

I have an aftermarket Mcleod clutch line that doesn't have the restriction so it doesn't need the "drill mod".

The problem is when shifting from 1st-2nd at high RPM's it feels like the shifter is hitting something solid. The shifter will not move far enough to go into gear. IT DOES NOT GRIND AT ALL. The shifter just won't go any farther untill the RPM's come down some. This doesn't happen from 2nd-3rd or from 3rd-4th.

I'm thinking it is the syncros but it wasn't doing this before I did the engine swap. I've never had a problem with 1st-2nd untill tonight. What do you think guys? If it was the clutch wouldn't it be doing it from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th also? Is it possible I put the spacers on my short throw shifter the wrong way and that is what is causing this? It is a B&M Ripper shifter. It has spacers that offset the bolt holes front to rear so that you can space it a little more forward or backwards.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ew month ago I had alot of problems with my clutch and set up. I could not shift at high rpms either. I bought an adjustable master cylinder and all my problems went away. I can shift pass 6000 rpms.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check for clutch drag in 2nd. Check your shifter stops if you have them. Otherwise, your 2nd gear synchro may be worn just enough to not engage at higher RPMs? What fluid do you run in the trans? Has it been changed recently?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Check for clutch drag in 2nd. Check your shifter stops if you have them. Otherwise, your 2nd gear synchro may be worn just enough to not engage at higher RPMs? What fluid do you run in the trans? Has it been changed recently?
I checked the clutch drag before I did the engine swap and it wasn't dragging any. I know that doesn't mean much because I've had it all back apart since then. I'll check it again but if it was the clutch wouldn't the problem happen at every shift and not just 1st-2nd? The only thing I've messed with on my shifter is the offset bolt holes. The base could be a little forward or backwards I guess. I don't see how it could be the stops. I've had that shifter for about 5 years and I've never had a problem with it.

The trans fluid has around 500 miles on it. I used normal ATF in it...says on the side "ATF only"

I just don't get it. I've never had a problem with the 1st-2nd shift. Can syncros just go bad that quick. Wouldn't bad syncros make it grind trying to go into gear?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
The trans fluid has around 500 miles on it. I used normal ATF in it...says on the side "ATF only"

I just don't get it. I've never had a problem with the 1st-2nd shift. Can syncros just go bad that quick. Wouldn't bad syncros make it grind trying to go into gear?
The blockers are little friction "clutches", and the fluid is a friction control for them. Alot of times the wear will be "uncovered" by a fluid change, since the friction action of the blocker was related to the type/quality/condition of the older fluid that contains contaminants..

New fluid "cleans" everything and all the wear starts to show..

Just some things to check on the clutch drag and shifter.. Start with the easy/cheap checks, and work your way to the hard/expensive stuff...

mike
Old 07-14-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm bringing this one back from the dead.

Both of my jacks at home are broke so I haven't been able to pick the rear end up off the ground to see if the tires move while reving in gear with the clutch pushed in. Today while messing with the car I decided to see it the car moved when I reved it up in gear. I put it in reverse and reved it to the moon and the car definitely rocked backwards every time I hit the gas.

Do you guys think this is why I couldn't shift from 1st-2nd at high RPM's? I really didn't think it was the clutch at the time because it would shift from 3rd-4th just fine. Think it just needs to be bleed more? I wasn't having this problem before the engine swap.