Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO 2nd Gear Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO 2nd Gear Issue?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just picked up the car on saturday (new to me)

babied, so maybe i'm not used to the car

GMM shifter, RPS clutch

shifting into second slowly, intown etc no problems

if i get on it a little bit, she'll grind as it goes into gear??

-I've tried making sure I have the clutch all the way in
-Different ways I hold the shifter
-Called the previous owner and he recommended that maybe i'm not being "firm" enough with the shift. I did notice once tonight, if I was firm, but not really hard on the shift, it'll go into gear, but sounded like it just grinded for a second? (because it was a faster, harder shift?)

It's weird...its probably me not being used to it??? I hope its not the syncros or anything...

but keep in mind I don't have problems with any other gears

UPDATE: Driving it to work this morning, nice and easy, low RPM's all in town driving, no issues.

Drove it a few hours later, no issues at low rpm's...so i tried 1 to 2nd at higher rpms and accelerating. (Basically anything above 2.5-3k)

Shifting firm, it still made the grinding. If I accel hard in 1st, hold in the clutch longer, then go into 2nd, it's easier, but still maybe a SLIGHT grinding

Again, RPS clutch, GMM shifter, STOCK but babied trans. EPP did the work, and had to do the drill mod and bleed the clutch good to fix the same type of issue with 1st AND 2nd when the new clutch was in.

SO...with all of this, do I need to rebleed the clutch? (gotta look up to remember how)

Or does this sound like a snycro problem since its only second?....but only under higher 3k+ rpms?

I'm lost...I'm waiting for a call back from my life line, Amber at 6 Speeds Inc
Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you check the fluid, and/or know it's origin/history? The GTO should have triple cone synchros on 1/2, so I wouldn't jump right to the synchros as bad.

double/triple check the shifter for any issues/adjustments, then maybe try a fresh drain/fill of synchromesh..
Old 06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Fluid should still be good.

I haven't beaten on it and the previous owner didn't either.

Air in the line? It was bleed at EPP when it was installed under the previous owner

but how could air in the line cause problems with just 2nd gear...just under acceleration?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, the shifter stops were installed with loctite and lock washers

if they were out of adjustment, i'd have problems going into second at any rpm?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just trying to be helpful/optimistic....

The synchros could have gone bad in 2nd, but I wouldn't rush to rebuild until checking everything..

I'm still firm in my opinion that no shifter stops should be installed on T56s, but I have heard the GTO 3/4 shifts can go a little long and you may want to limit them at the shifter. I'd remove any 1/2 shifter stops first.

(Where did the air in the line comment come from? )
Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

no idea on the air...

Amber at Six Speeds Inc says to go to an adjustable slave
Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Did some more calling, more asking

Hydrualics are probably OK

Likely it is the blocker ring for 2nd gear, and it's not letting me easily go into 2nd. Which means I have to pull apart the trans

BUT I need to talk to Bob (previous owner) and ask him about his clutch. It's an RPS clutch, and I don't know whether he installed it or whether EPP did. He said he had similar issues after the clutch install with 1st AND 2nd...after EPP rebled the clutch, it seemed to fix the problems.

My other car guru guy said that maybe the clutch needs some shimming being the throw out bearing, because maybe its not releasing all the way. Bleeding it at the beginning could have fixed it slightly and now second seems to be the issue.

So does anybody have an RPS clutch, I need some info on possible shimming.

Because I rather shim the clutch than tear apart the trans (I rebuilt my trans over the winter)

help

Quick Reply: GTO 2nd Gear Issue?