Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

10 sec. clutch that's smooth on the street??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I hot lap my car relentlessly because it only seems to run the number if I make 3+ passes back to back. At a rental day, Ill do a pass, come right back to the burnout box with zero cool down time. I usually do 3 passes in a row, sometimes 4, launching at 6500 and upwards of 7200. Never had it slip.
WS6, you find that your best elapsed times seem to follow hot-lapping and that your clutch never slips. I just want to suggest that if your sixty time is also better after a few hot laps, the improvement may be the result of your clutch slipping during launch. Some slip during launch can be very helpful.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Textralia Exo Skel here.

Rattling? Barely...

Pedal pressure... Lighter than stock... That's no exaggeration... I thought it was broken at first.

Chatters LESS than my old Spec 3 getting out of first.

Uses the entire factory hydraulics system... Stock master, etc. No fiddling with anything aftermarket.

I just don't how any other clutch comes close.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

McLeod street twin no doubt
Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Launching!

i have the tex, twin in my camaro, and tripple in my ta, great holding power by both, pushing 500rwhp in the camaro with full bmr suspension and 12 bolt with 4.30 gears on a 325/45/17 m&h tire, lots of traction and has been holdng for a few years. I have a few friends with the mcleod and the exedy, all are great, i perfer the tex because of the edal presure is so soft, and after working @ a performance center that deals with mcleod and exedy, and seeing someone on the site have a prblem with their tex and how fast they responded, the other companies have no where near the customer service that tex does. tex replaced te clutch before they recieved the one back from the customer, only to fnd out the install was what messed it up and they didnt charge the customer anything. but all are great clutches, have not really seen any proof that one is better than the other
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Phynix
i have the tex, twin in my camaro, and tripple in my ta, great holding power by both, pushing 500rwhp in the camaro with full bmr suspension and 12 bolt with 4.30 gears on a 325/45/17 m&h tire, lots of traction and has been holdng for a few years. I have a few friends with the mcleod and the exedy, all are great, i perfer the tex because of the edal presure is so soft, and after working @ a performance center that deals with mcleod and exedy, and seeing someone on the site have a prblem with their tex and how fast they responded, the other companies have no where near the customer service that tex does. tex replaced te clutch before they recieved the one back from the customer, only to fnd out the install was what messed it up and they didnt charge the customer anything. but all are great clutches, have not really seen any proof that one is better than the other
I have the twin. What's the power rating on the triple? Factory hydraulics too?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Called up Speed Inc. and they recommended the Mcleod RST. Figured what the hell and ordered it. Only downside is I have to wait 2 weeks. Oh well, that'll give me time to get the nitrous installed.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Launching!

not sure about the power rating, there where some things the tech needed to do so the clutch would fit and work properly, but they told me about it when i ordered it. my car is putting ta is pushing 613 rwhp and a 250 shot, i have gone ***** out off the line and it handled it, got the front end up. had the triple for about a year, took about a month to receive it. i do have a mcleod master, but i was told it wasn't needed when i ordered.

98 silver ss-- you will have to wait 2 weeks for any twin disc you order, what rear end are you running
Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Phynix, I have a 33 spline Moser 12 bolt.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Launching!

your gonna want to look @ some of your stock suspension if you haven't upgraded already, the mcleod gets a lot of grip & my friends stock parts went to crap right after he did his 12 bolt with the rst kit. i did my suspension first, so i had no problems
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a BOP clutch and loving it? Have about 700 going to it. stock feel no slipping or chatter? soon to try for 900 to it will see how it takes that.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Gary Z
WS6, you find that your best elapsed times seem to follow hot-lapping and that your clutch never slips. I just want to suggest that if your sixty time is also better after a few hot laps, the improvement may be the result of your clutch slipping during launch. Some slip during launch can be very helpful.
I agree, but I find that my 60's stays the same... usually within .01 seconds.

I think that on the first pass the tranny, rear and all get nice and "loosened up" lol same as me, I find that my shifting is better on the 2nd and 3rd pass as well.

When ever I'm at a rental day, I do 3 passes back to back, let the car cool for 30 min, then make another 3 passes back to back. Repeat from 10am to 4pm LOL At the rental that I went 10.32 I made 15 or so passes, I would have made more, but we had rainy weather.

On my first ever rental, 5 years ago, I made 23 passes LOL
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
On my first ever rental, 5 years ago, I made 23 passes LOL
I think my spec 3+ would have exploded after the 10th pass!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run an ls7. People say that it isn't good for 540 rwhp. but it seems to be holding up.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
I have a BOP clutch and loving it? Have about 700 going to it. stock feel no slipping or chatter? soon to try for 900 to it will see how it takes that.
Wow, so it's a single disc that can hold 900 horses, a single disc, with stock feel...

Old 07-19-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Wow, so it's a single disc that can hold 900 horses, a single disc, with stock feel...
its is a single disk very close to stock feel. Will see if it holds to 900hp. I know it is holding at 700 hp in a 4000 lb car. so hoping and feel like it might just make it cant say for sure if it will hold or not yet cause i havnt done it.

IF you havnt use one yet dont go calling bs I seen people lifting 243 heads at 16psi. But i also saw a dyno run with 243 heads at 21 psi so just cause it does match what you think is right dont go jumping on the bs thing

plus he looking for a clutch for a 10sec goal guessing he around 700hp or less
so the BOP clutch would work great for him. when i drop in my new motor we will see what happens to my clutch but till then i only said it works great at 700
I never said o my god this clutch will handle 900 or 500000 hp just 700 is what i know it takes.

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 07-19-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

The only single disc application I know of that will hold 900+ Hp is a Mcleod Soft-Lok, but that is a full boogie clutch kit with a sintered iron disc.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

IF you havnt use one yet dont go calling bs I seen people lifting 243 heads at 16psi. But i also saw a dyno run with 243 heads at 21 psi so just cause it does match what you think is right dont go jumping on the bs thing
Yo dude, thanks for the advice!

*cough* Here I'll post it again:

Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
The only single disc application I know of that will hold 900+ Hp is a Mcleod Soft-Lok, but that is a full boogie clutch kit with a sintered iron disc.
Yeah, and I'm sure that retains a stock feel! lol

This sounds like the arena of the Spec 5...

Why would anyone buy a Spec 5 or Mcleod Soft-Lok, if this BOP clutch could hold almost 1k crank hp and feel like stock?

I'm sure these BOP clutches are great, but there is so much exaggeration surrounding them.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=bboyferal;9773536]Yeah, and I'm sure that retains a stock feel! lol

Why would anyone buy a Spec 5 or Mcleod Soft-Lok, if this BOP clutch could hold almost 1k crank hp and feel like stock?

I'm sure these BOP clutches are great, but there is so much exaggeration surrounding them.[/QUOThave

Have you ever use or drove a BOP clutch. Why do you hate on it so much?

Whats ur deal with (Why would anyone buy a Spec 5 or Mcleod Soft-Lok, if this BOP clutch could hold almost 1k crank hp and feel like stock?)
I keep saying i only have 700 to it and it holding fine i never said i put 1k to it or anything over 700.

I dont care if other people buy this clutch or not. but its a very nice clutch this is all im saying. it drives and feels good. thats it. I took the chance and bought one. im glad i did

I will say this again i only have 700 going to it and it is holding great

If you tell me you use one and hated it i will be happy with that answer. but if you never used or felt one please hold off the hating about it till you at least try one.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Have you ever use or drove a BOP clutch. Why do you hate on it so much?

Whats ur deal with (Why would anyone buy a Spec 5 or Mcleod Soft-Lok, if this BOP clutch could hold almost 1k crank hp and feel like stock?)
I keep saying i only have 700 to it and it holding fine i never said i put 1k to it or anything over 700.

I dont care if other people buy this clutch or not. but its a very nice clutch this is all im saying. it drives and feels good. thats it. I took the chance and bought one. im glad i did

I will say this again i only have 700 going to it and it is holding great

If you tell me you use one and hated it i will be happy with that answer. but if you never used or felt one please hold off the hating about it till you at least try one.
I have nothing against this clutch... If you tell me it can hold 700 rwhp and maybe a bit more (that's why I said almost 1k CRANK hp), then I call bs on it feeling like stock.

That is all.

I have driven a car with a Sec 3, a Spec 3+, a Spec 5, and a Tex Exo-Skel.

I know what it takes to hold big power.

That BOP model that holds that kind of power is probably an iron disc, right?

These kinds of clutches could hold big power, but they're not "stock feel."

Hell, Spec 3 and 3+ are not "stock feel."

Know what I mean?

Hey, what do you drive? A GTO?

Quick Reply: 10 sec. clutch that's smooth on the street??