Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

newb tranny swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newb tranny swap question

ok guys... i know nearly nothing about transmissions so this is probably a stupid question. Here's the story & question:

I was told LSx model transmissions will bolt up to a 5.3 LM7. while calling around looking for a t56, a guys said he had a 5-speed out of a v6 firebird (i think from a 3.4l). He told me it was low mileage and he only wanted $150. He said the bell housings will interchange and it can be used on an LSx model engine (5.3 in my case).

Is this true? or he just another dumb hillbilly with a salvage yard?
will an ls1 bellhousing bolt right up to a 5-speed v6 camaro or firebird tranny, thus allowing it to bolt up to an LSx?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The bell hosing pattern between LSx and small and big block chevys is the same (minus 1 bolt hole).
I'm not sure what pattern is on the 3.4.
You'll need an LS7 pilot bushing for the small/big block chevy trans input shaft to fit the LS motor.
Truck engines prior to 01 had a longer crank that will not allow for a manual trans.
BTW, the 5 speed from the V6 firebird is a T5, probably only rated for a little over 200hp. Probably not a good choice.
That's about all I know.
Do a few searches and you'll find out a lot more.
Originally Posted by Stev0n
ok guys... i know nearly nothing about transmissions so this is probably a stupid question. Here's the story & question:

I was told LSx model transmissions will bolt up to a 5.3 LM7. while calling around looking for a t56, a guys said he had a 5-speed out of a v6 firebird (i think from a 3.4l). He told me it was low mileage and he only wanted $150. He said the bell housings will interchange and it can be used on an LSx model engine (5.3 in my case).

Is this true? or he just another dumb hillbilly with a salvage yard?
will an ls1 bellhousing bolt right up to a 5-speed v6 camaro or firebird tranny, thus allowing it to bolt up to an LSx?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, thanks! so the T5 is a NO-GO!

so i can't use a manual tranny with the 99 or 2000 LM7? Only 01 & newer?
I thought the T56 was an exact fit...or at least would work with it.

Quick Reply: newb tranny swap question