Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broken 3rd Gear Blocker

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken 3rd Gear Blocker

Just wanted to post what happened and thanks.

Story: was out hot-rodding around with a friend, showing off. Did a good 1-4th gear run (everything felt normal), then flipped a U-turn to cool down a bit. Trans would not go into 3rd (WTF?!??). Took it home. Drove the next day, yep something fubar in 3rd gear. Grind going in, could "sorta" shift okish if I double clutch, but it still bumped into gear. All other gears are fine.

Sooo... Took her down to Six Speeds Inc.

Scott (man.. I can't remember, is that the right name?) took it apart, found 3rd Gear Blocker Cracked. Common *** T-56 failure. Not many miles here, (less than 20K on the tranny) but I tend to drive it hard. And I do go out to TWS and road race. Plus Scott mentioned that the stops on my GMM shifter he thought were in a little too far in (my fault). Might have been banging the internal stops all the time. Plus, (I'll let y'all debate) Six Speeds has seen several LS7 Clutch cars like mine blow trans in an unseeming high numbers.

But alls good now, transmission feels great now. Thanks again to Six Speeds Inc.

Anyhoo... The Broken part:

Old 07-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Teching In

What was replaced and how much did it cost you?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I got that stuff replaced already...
Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mykah89
What was replaced and how much did it cost you?
Oh, I can't remember everything, but 1-4 syncs/Blockers, bronze fork pads, billet keys, other stuff....

Gears were fine.

out the door - $1200
Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SladeX
Glad I got that stuff replaced already...
Well, you what really sux??? There is nothing different you can put in for that Blocker Ring I broke. GTO's already had the carbon ring vs paper - triple cone syncs, blah, blah. Yeah, I have bronze pads, and some other stuff now, but those are the same carbon blockers as stock.

Six Speeds were telling me they've called Termec about it to see if they have a fix, Termec said, "well just tell your customers not to drive it so hard" LOL....

Wonder if there is anything different in the new trans (T0606 or something like that) for the ZR1.