Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 weird 5th problems bugging the hell outta me

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 weird 5th problems bugging the hell outta me

i have only 6k on my new tranny and yesterday while driving i was crusing on the freeway a light was turning red so i began too slow down. i drop it from 6th too 5th then my trans. just threw me outta gear into netural. after the light turned green i went into 1st ,2nd.3rd,4th,5th and then 6thas smooth as butter then this morning it seams i can only get my trans. too click into 5th from a 4th too 5th upshift even more weird if i dont shift into 5th at 60 if feels like my trans wants too throw me outta the gear could it be my bearing, synchro, c.a.g.s going nuts its making me go grazy and doesent help out
thanks
G

Last edited by un17real; 08-03-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Downshifting problems can almost always be traced to the synchro blocker. Odd though in your case since you've only put 6K miles on it. OTOH, when the trans wants to pop out of gear, it's usually the fork or keys.

If I had to guess, I'd say your new trans had stock stamped keys in 5/6 (most do) and one or more of the keys broke on the downshift...

mike
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
wrencher

Well the real bad news is you wont know till you pull the trans apart to repair it
Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Its going to be on the 5th gear side of the 5-6 syncro assembly . Chances are its popping out because its not going all the way into gear to begin with . Very seldom do I see broken 5-6 keys but it is possible . I would say its the syncro if it wants to grind when trying to put it into gear . I would start by making sure your shifter is adjusted correctly if an after market unit. I would also check the insulation under the shifter boot and make sure nothing is getting between the shift stick and the shift stop . If both check out , it could be that the unit is just notchy and might get better with some more driving or it could be that the 5th gear side of the 5-6 shift fork has broken fork pads or extremely worn pads .
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

thanks for the bomb replys guys well last night i jacked up my car too take a look at the tranny and it seems i got a remanafactured one from a dealer and it looks like it has seen better days as its stress cracking right before it enters my driveshaft.. why does she want too go into 5th no problem with Wot passes ??