Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replace stock clutch with ls7

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace stock clutch with ls7

So i've done research and I cant find the an answer. I'm having problems with my clutch screwing up above 4500 rpm, sticking, losing sensitivity with the pedal etc. the basic manufacturer defect. I don't have much money to work with and I want to repair this problem. Now this is the question.... If I replace the standard clutch with an LS7 and replace syncrose etc do you think it will fix this problem? I want to order the parts ASAP and find a solution to this issue. BTW I have an
MTI X1 cam. which im sure is a reason for this problem since I have to rev right behind the rev limiter to according to my tune. But still, I think the clutch should withstand the revolution increase. Anyways, is there anyone that has dealt with this issue that can assure me or otherwise that an ls7 upgrade will fix the issue?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my LS7 clutch, buy a new master and slave cylinder and you are good to go, along with the Ls7 clutch and LS2 flywheel.
good luck, its a direct swap.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must not have been properly searching cause there are numerous threads on the LS7 clutch swap. It's just a direct swap. And the only time you mess with syncros is in the trandmission.

All the LS7 clutch swap is, is the following.

LS7 pressure plate
LS7 disk
LS2 flywheel

Just remove your stock clutch & install the LS7 clutch in its place. No shims & no guess work. Just use a alignment tool & bolt it all up just llike stock. You might as wekk replace the slave while in there & if your master isn't giving you problems I'd leave it alone. Once installed just bleed & enjoy. Very simple install & very straight forward.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the LS7 clutch last week. I have about 200 miles on it so far and am happy with it. With 0 miles, the clutch pedal engaged right off the floor. Now it's about 1 1/2" off the floor.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apayner1
So i've done research and I cant find the an answer. I'm having problems with my clutch screwing up above 4500 rpm, sticking, losing sensitivity with the pedal etc.
Have you done the drill mod yet?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
You must not have been properly searching cause there are numerous threads on the LS7 clutch swap. It's just a direct swap. And the only time you mess with syncros is in the trandmission.

All the LS7 clutch swap is, is the following.

LS7 pressure plate
LS7 disk
LS2 flywheel

Just remove your stock clutch & install the LS7 clutch in its place. No shims & no guess work. Just use a alignment tool & bolt it all up just llike stock. You might as wekk replace the slave while in there & if your master isn't giving you problems I'd leave it alone. Once installed just bleed & enjoy. Very simple install & very straight forward.
Why do people keep saying LS2 flywheel? It is the same as the LS7.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
Why do people keep saying LS2 flywheel? It is the same as the LS7.
I guess because the ls2 came out first. So technically the ls7 uses the flywheel from an ls2 since they didnt change it.

To the OP
The ls7 clutch pressure plate is different than the ls1 pressure plate, so if you try to bolt it to your stock flywheel it will not work, but if you get the ls2 flywheel (which comes in the ls7 kit from scoggin dickey) that will bolt up in place of your old flywheel allowing you to attach the ls7 pressure plate. (and disc)

The problem you are having sounds like your hydraulic fluid is dirty and heats up/boils under hard acceleration due to the line running right near the headers which are probably a nice red color when you are on it hard. Look at the sticky at the top of the manual trans forum, It talks all about clutch pedal sticking and loss of pedal and about bleeding your clutch.