Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st hard launch = problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st hard launch = problem!

Not too long ago I had a new 12 bolt, driveshaft, Spec 3 clutch, slave cylinder, flywheel and a few other goodies added. I broke in the clutch slowly before a hard launch. I was told 500 miles of city use, so I actually waited between 700-800 before testing out the new items. The other day I decided to spray it and launch it hard for the first time. I speed shifted and went through all the gears then came to a stop. From then on through every gear I press the gas, let off of the clutch and the engine revs but the car hardly moves or at least not like it usually does. It sort of shimmies or vibrates but acts like it doesnt want to go. The fluid is now dark. Any suggestions welcome. Also, can anyone provide a link about how to launch a manual tranny the correct way. Driver error is always possible!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your clutch is shot... Does it keep reving once the clutch is ll the way out and your trying to speed up?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, strange that it would start slipping after only a few hundred miles. Perhaps some fluid got on the friction material if there is a leak? Otherwise it actually sounds like the clutch is shot. How much do you slip it when driving normally? Do you ride the clutch at all? Is it disengaging all the way?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the fluid turned black, the clutch and slave got exposed to a LOT of heat in a short amount of time. A few hundred miles shouldn't have done that unless those have been brutal as far as slipping goes.

I'd try a bleed to see if the fluid is the culprit, but I'd think that the clutch was already in a state of slippage when you tried the first hard launch and that the run up through the gears killed it.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think I slip the clutch too much, but I wouldnt count it out. I drive the car maybe two days a month and only a few miles when I do. I've never smelled anything as if it had been abused. I read the sticky that tells of the problems or habits that weaken clutches and dont think I do any of them, but I may sometimes without realizing it.