Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Breaking throwout bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Breaking throwout bearings...

I have a 97 SS M6. About two months ago I broke my throwout bearing. I was doing a 1 to 2 shift and I felt a snap and the pedal dropped to the floor and wouldn't go into gear. I dropped the tranny to find the throwout bearing torn to pieces. I replaced the whole clutch with a stock replacement with a new to bearing.
Now I was driving home today and it did the same thing...snap, pedal went to the floor, car stayed in neutral and I couldn't go anywhere. What could cause this?
Slave cylinder? Clutch fork? I'm pretty stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 08-15-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

ttt...
Old 08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Understand that your '97 clutch setup is totally different than the LS1 uses, so LS1tech might not be the best place to get feedback on it.

The LT1 used a pull-type pressure plate with a fork and pivot, and the slave is a pushrod type.

If this new failure turns out to be the same as your first one, the fork and pivot are where I'd look first. Ensure it's properly functioning, fork is staying on the pivot detent, and someone hasn't shimmed or modified the pivot/fork assembly to pull the clutch farther than designed.

Next, I'd check the master/slave hydraulics for overtravel. If somebody put an adjustable master cyl on it, could be improperly adjusted (rod too long) and overtraveling the slave.

Finally, I'd suspect the flywheel has been machined past spec. This puts the entire disc and pressure plate (with throwout bearing) farther forward than design, which would allow even a properly functioning hydraulic and fork assembly to overtravel the diaphragm spring and TO bearing.

Good luck w/ your diagnosis and please keep us posted!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crainholio
Understand that your '97 clutch setup is totally different than the LS1 uses, so LS1tech might not be the best place to get feedback on it.

The LT1 used a pull-type pressure plate with a fork and pivot, and the slave is a pushrod type.

If this new failure turns out to be the same as your first one, the fork and pivot are where I'd look first. Ensure it's properly functioning, fork is staying on the pivot detent, and someone hasn't shimmed or modified the pivot/fork assembly to pull the clutch farther than designed.

Next, I'd check the master/slave hydraulics for overtravel. If somebody put an adjustable master cyl on it, could be improperly adjusted (rod too long) and overtraveling the slave.

Finally, I'd suspect the flywheel has been machined past spec. This puts the entire disc and pressure plate (with throwout bearing) farther forward than design, which would allow even a properly functioning hydraulic and fork assembly to overtravel the diaphragm spring and TO bearing.

Good luck w/ your diagnosis and please keep us posted!
I know it's different (I own two cars with each type and I have worked on both), I just wanted to see if anyone on here had some insight.
I'll be sure to check the fork but I don't think it's ever been shimmed, the slave & master are original, and the flywheel used in previous install is the factory one which I had resurfaced. I forgot to mention that I didn't replace the pilot bearing in the previous install, but the shaft and bearing looked good. I will post results after dropping the tranny soon.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 08-15-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wanted to add that it seems as if the pivot fork is pulling the top ring off of the throwout bearing. Before it happened last time, every now and then the clutch would get really stiff briefly and then return to normal. Then one day, snap...

This is the picture of a piece of the old t/o bearing. This is the top ring that is engaged by the pivot fork. It was pulled right off of the rest of the t/o bearing.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 08-15-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

How many miles did that throwout bearing have on it when it failed?

And let us know when you get the trans removed and can see what failed this time around.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

How many miles did that throwout bearing have on it when it failed?

And let us know when you get the trans removed and can see what failed this time around.
The t/o bearing had 2-3 years on it...I'd say 50K+.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default So it wasn't the t/o bearing...

Yesterday I dropped the tranny and discovered this

Apparently my starter had exploded and one of those pieces was wedged behind my pivot fork which wasn't allowing me to fully depress the clutch. I'm concerned because I don't know how that bolt got there and what it goes to.
I installed a new starter and it starts up, but its a hard start, just like I was having for a while before my start blew up.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like a pressure plate bolt.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like a pressure plate bolt.
I was thinking that too, but I glanced over the pressure plate and it didn't look abnormal. Also the clutch works perfect so far. Only problem right now is a rough start. Could a pressure plate cause that?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

First it was this:

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Now I was driving home today and it did the same thing...snap, pedal went to the floor, car stayed in neutral and I couldn't go anywhere.
Now it's this:

Also the clutch works perfect so far. Only problem right now is a rough start.
Kinda hard to help if you can't accurately tell us what's wrong with the car...
Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

First it was this:

Now it's this:

Kinda hard to help if you can't accurately tell us what's wrong with the car...
The reason why I thought my t/o bearing was snapped was because I was at a light, I pressed the clutch in and it went to the floor and wouldn't come up. I had to reach down and pull it up with my hand, and then I couldn't push it down to the floor all the way. But when I dropped my tranny I found a piece of the starter wedged behind my pivot fork. I yanked it out and now it shifts perfectly.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you've got it all sorted out.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I pressed the clutch in and it went to the floor and wouldn't come up. I had to reach down and pull it up with my hand, and then I couldn't push it down to the floor all the way.
I had this happen to me after a light, concern barely begins to describe the feeling. It only happened once and shifts ok now, I thought it might have been something to do with the trans or clutch fluid temps. Never taken apart a trans or anything.

SO I guess, just my useless two cents and this problem goes unexplained! (useful forum, no?)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cthulu
I had this happen to me after a light, concern barely begins to describe the feeling. It only happened once and shifts ok now, I thought it might have been something to do with the trans or clutch fluid temps. Never taken apart a trans or anything.

SO I guess, just my useless two cents and this problem goes unexplained! (useful forum, no?)
I'd say check to make sure its bleed 100%.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinking its a pressure plate..maybe its warped. i cant see that pic very well but it looks like a pressure plate bolt...my suggestion sell it and get another ls1.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_Y2KSS
im thinking its a pressure plate..maybe its warped. i cant see that pic very well but it looks like a pressure plate bolt...my suggestion sell it and get another ls1.
It's actually starting better now, and shifts perfectly.
I would consider it if I could get financing.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_Y2KSS
This is what a pp bolt looks like, the one I pulled out of my car looks nothing like that.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Oil pan bolt?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Or possibly one of the bolts from the rear main seal carrier...

Quick Reply: Breaking throwout bearings...