Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What press tool can I use to remove the 2/3 gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What press tool can I use to remove the 2/3 gears

What size bearing tool do I use to remove the 2/3 gears from the mainshaft?

I bought one from Harbor Fright, but it barely grabs the gear. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

You don't need a puller to remove the gears . Are you talking about removing the slider hubs ? I usually remove 1st gear , then the hub and then the 2nd gear . After that flip it around and hit on the 3rd gear with a chisel to drive it off the main shaft .
Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thesource
You don't need a puller to remove the gears . Are you talking about removing the slider hubs ? I usually remove 1st gear , then the hub and then the 2nd gear . After that flip it around and hit on the 3rd gear with a chisel to drive it off the main shaft .

The manual shows on page 3-8 to use a press to put a block between 2-3 gear and press them off accordingly.

I rather not use a chisel. I'm taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow. I can't believe that NO ONE talks about this as a problem. This is my first time and all, but is banging on these gears a acceptable way to remove them? Banging on them with a hammer and/or chisel goes against everything I learned about working on cars.

The DIY does not have access to these tools and such, but nobody ever says "wait...you need this this this".
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a 3-jaw puller on all the slider hubs. You probably won't find the exact puller you need, instead I have 3 pieces of flat steel drilled with various holes to extend the jaws to various lengths for the different hubs, and different T56s with mainshaft lengths.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a bearing seperator http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jc...4162G_CL_1.jpg along with an ordinary 20 ton press that I believe came from Napa. My bearing seperator measures about 6" across, and the threaded rods are about 8" long. Just slip the seperator between the 2nd and 3rd gear pressing off 2nd first. Pressing against the gear will slide the sycro assembly right off.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

What I think my problem is that I don't realize how strong the gears are. I took it too a transmission shop that did it.

He told me that even though you are pressing off at 4 corners they gears are very strong and won't usually chip.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Even if they do chip , you can clean them up with a small grinder and they are fine . As far as being strong , they are designed to hold up to a lot of torque . Everyone has a different way of building them but the results are usually the same .
Old 10-11-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Do you guys think a 12 ton press wil do te job nicely enough? Both northtool and harborfrieght have relatively good deals on them.

Sure I know I havent needed one yet, but if I ever do the tranny work again, would be nice having one. Local shops here dont want to take liability for doing the presswork.

Just want to know if I absolutely need the 20 ton or if a 12 ton will suffice for those angle roller bearings on the main shaft and stuff.

thanks.

Let me also add, where do we purchase the endplay tool and dial indicator to do the shimming and countershaft installation etc. ?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

As long as the press is large enough to get the mainshaft with gear between the supports , you are fine . Like I said above , I rarely if ever have t ouse a press . I use two large pry bars and my knee to hold the front of the main shaft to press off 3rd gear . Flip it around , take off the bearing and 1st gear . Remove the snap ring and then use a chisel and hammer to tap the 2nd gear and 1-2 slider off together . Most of the time it takes less than 2 minutes to tear all three gears off the main shaft and I do not have to fool with bearing pullers , split plates or presses .
Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned

triple / double units are a little different for 3rd gear . Those I do you a 3 jaw puller since you have to pull the pocket bearing off with slider assembly .

Quick Reply: What press tool can I use to remove the 2/3 gears