Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you measure end play?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you measure end play?

I've figured out how to measure end play on the mainshaft.

But I don't quite understand how end play is being measured on the countershaft and how the "end play tool" described in the manual is being used and what can be used in it's place since you can't buy the tool from anybody. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody knows this?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming since you mentioned a tool you can't buy you are referring to the one that the service manual shows for the secondary counter shaft. The tool I made was out of 1/2" aluminum round stock and right at 13" inches long. I threaded the end 12mm. The 1/2" rod is just slightly bigger than a standard 12mm bolt, so you have to turn it down about 1/2" back on the end of the shaft to thread it 12mm. I don't remember the diameter to turn it down to at the moment, but the major diameter for a 12mm x 1.75 shouldn't be hard to look up. I guess you could also use a die nut to put the threads on, but you would still have to turn the rod down to the correct size for 12mm. By using a 1/2" rod it will bottom out in the counter shaft when you thread it in. And I just drilled a small hole in the shaft at the top at 90 degrees so I could use a pin punch in the hole to tighten and loosen the tool.

To measure the end play you remove the pipe plug in the front of the case and thread the rod in. Then it's a simple to set up a dial indicator to check the end play. But as I recall you have to have already set the main counter shaft end play before doing this.

Quick Reply: How do you measure end play?