Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny problem? PIX*

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem? PIX*

So im driving on the freeway and i notice smoke coming out of my rear so i pull over and there is tranny fluid everywhere underneath looks like its coming from the rear of the tranny right next to the torque arm .....my i drove it back home slowly and it was still shifting fine and i have never had any problems with it so what do you guys think its leaking from ....rear main seal maybe ....? please say ,my tranny is not shot i have no money!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i doubt your tranny is shot.. there ya go

my inital guess give the info provided would be the rear main seal like you stated
Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Thats not a rear main seal... thats a tail shaft seal or extention housing seal. The rear main seal is the seal between the motor and the trans.

If you had a rear main seal leak you would have leakage from the middle of your bellhousing and the engine. Plus with a rear main seal on a M6 you would probably have some clutch slipping due to the motor oil soaking the clutch.

You could probably have that seal replaced by the dealer or a local shop for less then a couple hundred bucks installed. Or do it yourself if your slightly mechanically inclined, its not that hard to replace.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Or do it yourself if your slightly mechanically inclined, its not that hard to replace.
It's not hard to replace, but it is easy to mess up...

Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

i had a similar problem..............my shifter came loose from the tranny
Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

The tail shaft seal is easy fix. Pull driveshaft and with a srew driver pry it out and replace. Simple fix. Haven't really seen one just go out all of the sudden though. usually start slow and get worse.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

you better hope it's just the seal. you may have a spun output shaft bushing..
Old 08-16-2008, 12:30 AM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull it apart & inspect the bushing once the seal is out.
If all looks well put it back together. Get a can of brake clean or the like & clean the area up. test drive & recheck it for leaks.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
you better hope it's just the seal. you may have a spun output shaft bushing..
what exacxtly is the output shaft bushing ....expensive?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

prolly just the rear tranny seal but the smoke from the rear could be bad or nothing to worry about though. it could simply be the tranny fluid burning up on the hot exhaust pipe. but hope that its just tranny fluid cause it cant be good if smoke is coming from tranny.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by streetsurfinseth
prolly just the rear tranny seal but the smoke from the rear could be bad or nothing to worry about though. it could simply be the tranny fluid burning up on the hot exhaust pipe. but hope that its just tranny fluid cause it cant be good if smoke is coming from tranny.
yea it was defanatly just smoke form it leaking on the exhaust ...i took a look down there and it dripped all over it and was smokin from there...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

well then there is nothing to worry about. it is probly just that tail shaft seal on the back of the tranny. shouldnt be alot of money to do yourself and seems like an easy fix. just take the four bolts off of the ujoint and pull the driveshaft off and out of the tranny then take the old seal out and put the new one in. no biggy.

my rear main seal just went out on my T/A and i burned up a 400 dollar clutch in like 3k miles because the oil that saturated the disc. it really sucked.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by streetsurfinseth
well then there is nothing to worry about. it is probly just that tail shaft seal on the back of the tranny. shouldnt be alot of money to do yourself and seems like an easy fix. just take the four bolts off of the ujoint and pull the driveshaft off and out of the tranny then take the old seal out and put the new one in. no biggy.

my rear main seal just went out on my T/A and i burned up a 400 dollar clutch in like 3k miles because the oil that saturated the disc. it really sucked.
cool thanks for the help man...sux about your clutch....things start to add up huh?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be the one to say something else, but I had this happen to me(auto) racing on the highway the trans puked fluid everywhere. Determined that the trans overheated, fluid expansion caused alot of it to be spit out the vent tube.
Just another thing to check out.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I squeezed that seal that the driveshaft goes in and fluid came out of tere so im guessing that its the tailshaft seal ...from the outside it doesnt look there is any wear on the seal though is that odd?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not a seal, it's a dust boot. The seal is forward of that, and you won't be able to see it until the DS is out.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio
That's not a seal, it's a dust boot. The seal is forward of that, and you won't be able to see it until the DS is out.
lol yea that makes sense .... thanks man!