Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a problem

Ok Recently My car has been giving me some problems. Such as the clutch pedal sticking to the floor. gears grinding instead of going into the shift gates. My guess is that the clutch needs to be replaced. The car has 107,000 miles and as far as I know it has the stock clutch. All of these things happen when driving the car normally. This is really coming at a bad time since I just started college and I have to drive on the weekends to campus, because Auburn does not have enough on campus housing. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a clutch if it's slipping, if the pedal sticks to the floor during normal driving, then it's more likely than not a disengagement issue with the hydraulics. That would make the synchros grind, don't wait to fix the problem, grinding synchros = wearing synchros. Is there any dead or soft pedal in the pedal travel?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
You need a clutch if it's slipping, if the pedal sticks to the floor during normal driving, then it's more likely than not a disengagement issue with the hydraulics. That would make the synchros grind, don't wait to fix the problem, grinding synchros = wearing synchros. Is there any dead or soft pedal in the pedal travel?
Agreed^^^ you need to look into the hydraulic's.
The clutch may be a problem as well, but the hydraulics would be my primary concern.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I really don't have that much pedal. There is no stiffness to the pedal. How would I go about checking the hydraulics
Old 08-24-2008, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

any ideas?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Start with dummy checks first. I would bleed your system to make sure you are not getting any air in. Sometimes the seals will give and allow that to happen. Put a mighty vac to you master and suck out any air. Also make sure your fluid is good. Bad fluid will cause issues with your pedal along with air.
After you put the vac to it you should see small bubbles coming up. After it appears to stop, take the vac out of your master and work the **** out of your clutch. You should notice it getting stiffer again. Then reapply the vac and do it again. If you get air don't be to alarmed it could of just worked its way out. Eventually you will get back to a normal pedal feel and throw. Drive it for a while and test your master again with the vac. If after several hours of driving, with frequent shifting, you are drawing air again, I would replce your master, it is the easiest. Then repeat process. If it is still drawing in air, replace you slave. Hope that helps.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok just alittle update. I ended up calling a shop and they came and got the car. They pulled the tranny and found that my clutch was shot along with the pressure plate and flywheel. It ended up costing me 754.66. Which is alot for a college kid. Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course they put a clutch in it at the shop, its got 107,000 miles on it, I would have done the clutch if I had the money, but you probably could have gotten away with a bleed if you were broke. Hope they put a new slave in there....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I doubt that just a bleed would have been help for too much longer if at all. When i go home I have to go through Birmingham, and that traffic is terrible. He brought the clutch back to show me. It was a mess things where broke off and such. It feels like a whole other car now. I am going to have to get used to driving it with this new clutch. I had the money to do it so I thought It would be best if i Went ahead and got it done.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an oddball; the symptoms you described can be the result of a warped clutch disk or clutch springs/hardware but it's a rare occurrence as opposed to hydraulic problems and it would not affect pedal feel or cause dead pedal.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 08-29-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
That's an oddball; the symptoms you described can be the result of a warped clutch disk or clutch springs/hardware but it's a rare occurrence as opposed to hydraulic problems and it would not affect pedal feel or cause dead pedal.
Broken clutch diaphram springs would cause a dead pedal.

Quick Reply: Got a problem