Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-56/ls6 flywheel loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-56/ls6 flywheel loose

guys got an asa ls6 motor which has a scavenge system with 12 qt oil tank and asa cam in my 69 camaro, i have a spec billet steel flywheel and spec stage 5 clutch. i bought the flywheel used.
anyway i shut it off yesterday and it made a bad clunking noise, removed starter today and i can move flywheel 1 inch right and left, meaning holes are extremely elongated or bolts are missing. front to back play is minimal but i need to get tranny out.
what is proper method for tq'ing the flywheel, i used arp studs and blue loc tite but i read somewhere something about using 10w-30 on the bolts no loc tite? never had a flywheel come loose.
also being a race motor it used a 4 spd with reverse mount starter, i do not remember there being a dowel on the crank snout, should there be for indexing the flywheel??
just waiting for a buddy to get here to take tranny down and out of car
Old 08-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned

You are damn lucky its still on the engine ........

As far as using lock tite on the studs , I do not see a problem with using it myself but maybe so . Sounds to me more like you used a weak *** impact to tighten them and "thought" they were tight enough . Either way , make damn sure its right this time or you might not be so lucky .
Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

weak *** impact uh, nope
tq's them to 70 ft lbs but i did use loc tite.
flywheels dont just fly off the engine, bolts are more then long enough to give you time to figure it out.
thanks, but i am thinking its the used spec flywheel i got, as i do this for a living and have never had a flex plate or flywheel ever come loose, nor a convertor.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned

Well if there is an "inch" of play and the stuff was tightend down correctly , you seriously over looked something when you put it together the first time .