Old 08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default M6 fluid change

How do you change the fluid on a M6 tranny? Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3/8 drive drain plug on passenger side bottom rear of trans. Fill plug is on the other side same plug half way up the case. Fill with 4.1 quarts through the fill plug or take shifter off and fill throught there. For me its easier to fill it up through the shifter base since I dont have a pump to transer the fluid into. Kinda hard to pour fluid into the side of the trans LOL
Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

You should buy a cheap bottle pump too. They are like $5 max. Or fill through the shifter, but you probably won't have access unless you are up there to begin with.

About the drain....it's marked "drain" lol. Also, before you think too much about it....just use the 3/8 end of your ratchet.

It may seem obvious to you....wasn't to me
Old 08-24-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

& please......use the GM Dot 3 fluid & + 2 on the hand cylinder pump. Most Auto parts stores have them & it will sav a lot of time & frustration.

I don't want to get into a debate w/ guys reading the GM Dot 3 recommendation & will not reply regarding the issue. Just do yourself a favor & don't mess with it.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1-450
& please......use the GM Dot 3 fluid & + 2 on the hand cylinder pump. Most Auto parts stores have them & it will sav a lot of time & frustration.

I don't want to get into a debate w/ guys reading the GM Dot 3 recommendation & will not reply regarding the issue. Just do yourself a favor & don't mess with it.
He was talking about the trans, not the clutch from what I gathered. And I don't want to get into a debate either, so, I'll just say I recommend using something with a higher boiling point than the stock crap. I have personally been using Valvoline Synpower for YEARS with better results than the stock stuff.

If your just driving the car normally, then reg old DOT 3 would be fine. However, if you beat on your car for extended periods of time, having a fluid that won't break down and hinder clutch performance absolutely makes a difference.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as how to change the actual trans fluid, these guys have you covered. I've done it both ways, just depends what you feel like messing with, the shifter and console or laying under there to fill it.

You can get some rubber tubing and snake it from under the hood and to the filler hole, with a funnel up top and fill it that way. I did that the first time and it worked fine.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm

Here are some good writeups - good stuff!

Quick Reply: M6 fluid change