Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

About 1" vertical shifter movement normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About 1" vertical shifter movement normal?

Hey guys, first technical post since being an F-body owner! Anyways, I've only driven my car about 10 miles from driving it home. Today was the second time I drove it, which was to my buddy's shop where I'll do the painting (did the bodywork at home). Anyways, today, I noticed while cruising up the road in my buddy's area, the shifter would just move up and down roughly an inch. I know side-side movement is normal, but I've never been in a car where it moves vertically. This is my first F-body so excuse my ignorance, but is it just a standard trans mount crossmember with the torque arm mounted on the tailshaft? I would think there shoudn't be any vertical movement. Any ideas? I'd get under and check it, but I won't have time to get dirty till Saturday (I'm at work now, I'll be at school later), plus the car is lowered so it'll be a devoted job for me. Figured I'd check for ideas here first. Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Up & down, do you mean lifts up 1" & then back down 1". If so, that's not normal in any car. Something is off with either the trans mount &/or the motor mounts. You're gonna need to raise her up & have a look.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

replace your tranny mount. its torn/broken. Ive actually got a poly one if you want it
Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

That's what I was afraid of. Don't even have the car in my name yet and I'm gonna have to jack it up and look at it. Oh well, that's what happens when you're making real power I guess.

Thanks for the quick responses. Thanks Eric, but I'll get back to you after I check it out for sure.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

So is this mount in the Energy Suspension version the commonly available type I can buy off the shelf at Autozone?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
So is this mount in the Energy Suspension version the commonly available type I can buy off the shelf at Autozone?
Best thing for you to do is to jack up the car, then put a SUPPORT UNDER THE TRANSMISSION, remove the mount & take it with you to the parts store. Also, check the motor mounts.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Teching In

The one I bought at autozone fit, but +1 on suggestion to bring it with you........
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

just find a rubber one, you don't want to put a poly in with stock **** motor mounts
Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
just find a rubber one, you don't want to put a poly in with stock **** motor mounts
I figured I didn't need to update you all with every thought I had, but I read deeper into it and saw that. The car has 120k miles on it, so the front mounts are probably due for replacement anyways. I've already bought the rubber tranny mount. Sometime in the near future I'll change all of them out to something a little stiffer.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. I was under there the other day, and looking around. Noticed the brand new polyurethane trans and torque arm mount. Okay, that looks good. Then I go and rock the trans up and down, and hear the loud thud. Then I look, the left two crossmember bolts are completely gone!!!

Good thing I caught it! It's good that it's so simple, and not a transmission problem as far as the rattle goes! So I got new bolts from GM, and I'll be good again! I gave my buddy crap for that!

Quick Reply: About 1" vertical shifter movement normal?