Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 shifter rattling

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro 5.0 shifter rattling

Recently, my 98z28 has started irritating me in new ways. The shifter started making rattling noises after one WOT run one night. With any kind of a metallic-thread shift ball on the shifter, it makes a loud rattling sound. Without a shift ball on, there is no rattle. And I checked all the bolts holding it in, and put more loctite on them about a month ago.

If you have any ideas what it could be, that would be great.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Does the ball feel "loose" on the stick? Did you check all of the threads and make sure none of them are stripped?? Maybe you shifted so hard you damaged the threads... I have had a friend pull his **** off b4.. Given it was a different style than screwed on but, the only thing I can think of that will give it the rattle is if the ball is loose on the stick..
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

I tried another ball on it as well. Typically, I drive with a MBA LS1 ball, but I tried it with the stock rubber ball, and same thing happened. I'll check the threads on the shifter itself today.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the stopper bolts...when the rattle starts try applying pressure on the shifter i put a little bit of foam tape on the bolt and no mor rattle!!!

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 shifter rattling