Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Issue...

am having an issue with my clutch and was wondering if any of you guys might be able to help. 2 Days ago I was driving in my neihborhood and saw one of my buddies riding his bike, so I pushed my clutch in and threw him a rev. When I went to release it felt REALLY funny, almost as if it was dragging. So I took it to a local shop and they thought it was the master cylinder. Well $565 later it is no better. I have an adjustable master and right now I have it as short as you can get and it still feels funny. The problem is if I make the pedal any longer it won't engauge at all, it pretty much has to be at the shortest setting (no threads showing). The best way to desrcibe how it feels would be like taking off with your emergency brake on, the clutch isn't sticking to the floor but it kinda "drags" and doesn't seem to have the pressure coming back up that is used to. If you guys have any ideas please let me know I am worried I am gonna mess the clutch up. BTW the clutch does not slip at all and still grabs hard, it is a Spec Stage 2.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Well, it is very unusual that the pedal was fine one minute and then not the next minute with nothing more than a throttle-blip in between. Though I would assume that the shop doing the hydraulic work bled the assembly I would check the fluid and see if it is discolored. If so, flush and refill it and make sure that your lines are routed behind the heat sheld as they pass near the headers. Also, you may want to wrap them in a heat resistent wrap to reduce the chances of aeration in the future. Let us know what you find and we can go from there. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
am having an issue with my clutch and was wondering if any of you guys might be able to help. 2 Days ago I was driving in my neihborhood and saw one of my buddies riding his bike, so I pushed my clutch in and threw him a rev. When I went to release it felt REALLY funny, almost as if it was dragging. So I took it to a local shop and they thought it was the master cylinder. Well $565 later it is no better. I have an adjustable master and right now I have it as short as you can get and it still feels funny. The problem is if I make the pedal any longer it won't engauge at all, it pretty much has to be at the shortest setting (no threads showing). The best way to desrcibe how it feels would be like taking off with your emergency brake on, the clutch isn't sticking to the floor but it kinda "drags" and doesn't seem to have the pressure coming back up that is used to. If you guys have any ideas please let me know I am worried I am gonna mess the clutch up. BTW the clutch does not slip at all and still grabs hard, it is a Spec Stage 2.
Nuff said.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Clutch has held up in my car well for almost 20k miles, and it was in the car when I got it. Basically no matter where I adjust the pedal too it wants to grab at the very end when my foot is basically off the pedal. Clutch fluid has been flushed and changed and is clean.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

A clutch that grabs at the top of the pedal can evidence a disc that is nearing its wear limit. As the disc thins the diaphragm fingers will raise leading to a higher release point. If you pull it you can meaure the disc thickness and let me know what the thickness is and we can go from there.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
A clutch that grabs at the top of the pedal can evidence a disc that is nearing its wear limit. As the disc thins the diaphragm fingers will raise leading to a higher release point. If you pull it you can meaure the disc thickness and let me know what the thickness is and we can go from there.
It went from releasing 100% perfect to at the end of the pedal in a split second, that is what I don't understand. Im just gonna drive it and put an LS7 clutch in when this one breaks.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue...