Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stock Clutch Woes! Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Clutch Woes! Problem?

So I am the 2nd owner of my 98 Formula with 130k miles. Previous owner was a 50 year old female, I have checked the previous maintenance records and the clutch seems to have never been replaced . Several months ago while racing the clutch pedal would get very weak and soft and once falling to the floor but then came back up as I made it home. Since then I had very few problems.

Once a week I will start the car and when I attempt to go into 1st gear I will hear a small grind but it will go into gear and not grind again.

Lately I am getting a clutch pedal that only feels strong when pushed in 1/2 way and opposed to strong the entire way. Any ideas what may be the problem? The car still runs and drive fine but the pedal is scary. I was wanting to make a 600 mile trip this weekend but scared I may get stuck somewhere. Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Note:

The clutch pedal never seems to be slipping as I have experienced a slipping clutch with an older car I had.

When the car is cold sometimes I can hear and feel a slight vibration from my clutch pedal.

My thoughts are it may be my slave/master acting up?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went by a local mechanic today and he told me that my master cylinder was not leaking so he said it must be my slave cylinder and that I should also replace my clutch while the transmission was out. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this job from a mechanic? Thanks