Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

not wanting to go into 3rd gear. t56

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy not wanting to go into 3rd gear. t56

so tonight i was out making some pulls and had a couple on it. did another one. threw it from 2 to 3 and it made a really bad grinding noise. so i pushed the clutch back in upshift and kept driving, so i go to get back on the highway go to shift into 3rd and it grinds and kicks out again. i can't get it to engage.

the only way i could get it in was if i shift out of 2nd let clutch out push clutch in put into 3rd and let it out then it would work. so is this just a syncro or what is the problem ...? how hard is it to put a new syncro in?

Last edited by nobird8991; 09-21-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bent 3/4 fork or broken shift fork pads...

Either way, you're in for tearing down the trans for a rebuild, might as well plan on doing all the synchros and hipro goodies at the same time..
Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
bent 3/4 fork or broken shift fork pads...

Either way, you're in for tearing down the trans for a rebuild, might as well plan on doing all the synchros and hipro goodies at the same time..
but its only 3rd gear which leads me to believe that its not a fork. and if i double clutch it it goes into gear fine. i can get it in fine but when i let the clutch out it starts to grind UNLESS i double clutch it it goes in and works. makes me think its a synchro or the ring(whatever its called)
Old 09-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try syncromesh fluid. but at this point i dont know if it will help you. i had a slight grind sometimes when i was shifting into 3rd it would grind without letting the clutch out. so after replacing the dex III with pennzoil syncromesh it has not grinded since
Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ae13291
try syncromesh fluid. but at this point i dont know if it will help you. i had a slight grind sometimes when i was shifting into 3rd it would grind without letting the clutch out. so after replacing the dex III with pennzoil syncromesh it has not grinded since
i had gm syncromesh. at this point its beyond a fluid flush. i think it may be the blocking ring.

if i put it in neutral let the clutch out and slow the tranny down then go into 3rd and let clutch out it works. so i don't think its a shift fork because no matter what it goes in just fine. its just when i try to engage it something doesn't work right
Old 09-20-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nobird8991
but its only 3rd gear which leads me to believe that its not a fork. and if i double clutch it it goes into gear fine. i can get it in fine but when i let the clutch out it starts to grind UNLESS i double clutch it it goes in and works. makes me think its a synchro or the ring(whatever its called)
Yet either way, you won't know until you tear it down for a rebuild...
Old 09-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Yet either way, you won't know until you tear it down for a rebuild...
yeah thats what i was thinking i'm going to take the headers off and put my stock rear end back in. still have a aftermarket warranty from the used dealership the previous owner bought it from
Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might aswell have it rebuilt by sixspeeds inc and it would probably last the life of the car.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Broken synchro ring for third gear.the cone shape forces the synchro to bind up the engagement,if you baby shift it at the proper rpm will it engage ? Mine is apart with the same issue,I will post some pics of the broken ring if you like.

Quick Reply: not wanting to go into 3rd gear. t56