Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help with t56 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with t56 issues

My transmition is locked in neutral... The case is dry, i don't know if it is supposed to oil the linkage, but when i started the car with the shifter off a very thin stream came out from the front of the case to a hole at the output shaft... Any ideas why it won't come out of neutral?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a few minutes and type your issues again, slowly, clearly and concisely.. A T56 holds a tad over 4 qts of Dextron-III ATF.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Launching!

The case i was referring to being dry is the case that the linkage is in... I assumed that it would hold fluid because you are supposed to put silicone around the shifter mount when you install it. I thought that the linkage might not have adequate lubrication and might have siezed up. The tranny didn't want to come out of third, I drove it home in third and started messing with it and finally got it out and now it doesn't want to go into any gear... neutral feels a little wierd too, there is no play in the shifter like there usually is when it is in neutral.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

how are the hydraulics on the clutch, have you ever had the sticking pedal? is the clutch working properly even though its stuck in gear? could be slider keys, bent shift fork or just a grenaded transmission, all of these things i found just performing a quick search
Old 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Launching!

The clutch still works properly, I just put it in less than 5k ago. What was odd about it is it didn't make any noise or anything, it just wouldn't come out of gear. I appreciate all the info.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badss_02
The case i was referring to being dry is the case that the linkage is in... I assumed that it would hold fluid because you are supposed to put silicone around the shifter mount when you install it. I thought that the linkage might not have adequate lubrication and might have siezed up. The tranny didn't want to come out of third, I drove it home in third and started messing with it and finally got it out and now it doesn't want to go into any gear... neutral feels a little wierd too, there is no play in the shifter like there usually is when it is in neutral.
Ok, so the shifter area is dry, that's not uncommon.

It sounds like you may have broken the synchro keys on 3/4, and now the pieces are wedged in the linkage.

Might be time for a rebuild, regardless of the exact problem. Definitely sounds like something internal.

mike
Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems like I just had the same exact thing happen to me. My car was in 2nd gear though. I was going about 50 in 2nd gear and punched it and the car just didn't seem right so I tried to put it into neutral and it wouldn't go no matter what I did. Then after about a minute or so it went into neutral but it grinded real bad and then I forced it back into gear and it ended up in fourth. My trans has been rebuilt two different times and both times it has been upgraded with the better stuff. I think I broke something to do with a gear or probably a sychro. I dont know but my shifter is doing the same exact thing, keep me updated on your problem. I took my trans out this morning and will probably take it to my trans shop later this week sometime. Good luck!