Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuild or donor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 rebuild or donor?

Ok, so heres my story I blew up my trans in my SS a few months ago when I was home on leave. Im pretty sure anything that rotates is toast. The trans was removed, and the input shaft was bent, and the seal on the input shaft was well , not sealing anything anymore. The 1-2 synchro had been toast for about a week, and it also would not let the clutch to disengage with out side pumping it up. During draining the removal the trans was drained, and it came out a very shiny brown color and had only had about 10k miles on it. The clutch was toast as in it looks like some one used it as a spare tire. The due to the condition of the clutch, the flywheel was badly warped and is beyond repair. The pilot bearing was no more, well, part of it was still in the crankshaft, but... the needle bearings inside of it were no where to be found. It was also obvious few somethings left the inside of the bell housing and punched a few holes in it, but thank god, I dont think there was any damage to the crank or main bearings, as the rear main was still bone dry.

So this is my question, I'm fairly certain this trans is beyond repair, but it has yet to be taken to a transmission shop for a quote, but with the amount of damage sustained, Im doubting its going to be cost effect to fix it. So I have seen the ctsv t56 for reasonable prices, and with my donor parts, plus the the parts I cant salvage for a swap, would this be my best option?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very difficult swap. The gear ratios, shift linkage( including the guideplate) input & output are different for the V.The V also has different synchros that will not work on the Fcar mainshaft.
I suspect the pilot damage began with the install 10K miles ago. That bad pilot most likelt took out the pocket bearing of the trans- you will need input and out put shafts. All in all you should replace the trans with Fcar parts or a new unit if the damage is extensive( I think it is). Using V unit components should be left to the experts.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

ya, im assuming everything that spins on my t56 is toast. i was just wondering if theres anywhere that i could use as a reference, i've been searching and no one seems to have a definitive i've done it answer, just everyone ask the same questions, what do i need to do it?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use all the CTSV gears and synchros on a GTO mainshaft. The CTSV/LS6 input shaft is shorter and you'll have to convert to the LS6 pilot bearing. The LS1 shift rail shafts will need to be reused. The CTSV will alter your gear ratios, since it's an M12 setup, like the Z06/GTO units. Unless you're experienced rebuilding transmissions, as Calhoon recommended, it's best left to an expert/shop..

If you're determined to give it a try, I'd be glad to send you some pics/instructions/guidance off-line, just send me a PM.

mike
Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO get an MN12 6 speed out of a GTO or call Tick Performance..for a rebuild or outright purchase those guys kick some serious ***...
Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Being in MI , you are in D&D territory . Hit them up since they are somewhat local . As for answering your questions , 85MikeTPI is on the money .
Old 10-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Ya, I was considering D&D or Liberty, but the whole point of using the cstv trans is to try and do this on the cheap. but thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: t56 rebuild or donor?