Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

buying a car from private party in IL....question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM2001z28
Drive with no plate, have a bill of sale, and have the title if you're signing it over at that time. Ask anyone who knows me on here, I buy more cars then car dealers. The wrong plate will get you a lot more head ache. Honestly, you'll probably not even get pulled over once.

That's how I drove mine home.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with Country Insurance....and you're right, I'll be glad to not see it sitting outside either.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. I was thinking of the other little one downtown. cant remember the name. Your car has a good stance, what springs ya got?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litemup02
I was always told you had 24hrs from date of purchase to register it. As for the under $15k rule for taxes. I know a guy that pulled it off but have heard a few say that the state went after them.... saying it was worth alot more than they claimed. Anybody else? Turbowhistle, i'll be glad to see your car not sitting downtown this winter You at state farm or the other?
State go after him? I registered my 2006 GTO with 6k miles as $14,500. No troubles.

Of course, that's what I really bought it for.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by b00sted
When I bought my car I was writing up a new bill of sale each day so I could go cruise it. Haha
why waste time writing a whole new one. I always leave the date blank on the bill of sale. keep a pen in the car and if you ever get pulled over write in whatever day it is before the cop comes up to the window. I've done it on prolly more than 5 cars i've owned. granted i've never been pulled over with no plates tho..... but just in case

and ive been told by a cop before, its better to have no plates on than false plates.

Quick Reply: buying a car from private party in IL....question!