Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Holy shit I'm M***erfu**ing #14. IBEW 134

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RippinZ121
Congrats guys. See, everything gets better Shultz. You get the GTO fixed?
Nah got an appointment Saturday for some warranty work then she's goin in for the dent removal on Monday
Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

what is this? Electricians Union?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by integraxtc
what is this? Electricians Union?
Yes. A-Card Electricians.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Nice to see good news once in awhile. Good Luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what time u got the orientation? mines at 12:45 another guy that works for our company who is a c-card going to an a-card said his is at 9:00
Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in the 9am class. So I guess I won't see you.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

congrats guys. work is getting extremely scarce out there. we just had to lay off 3 guys last week and the rest of us are down to 4 day weeks. it really sucks to be in construction right now. Norman mechanical is laying off like 20 guys a month. Schindler is laying off massive amount of workers as well- including one of my buds I've seen on a couple jobs.

If any of your contractors are looking for extra man-power, we would be more than willing to help. I know we've worked with Current and Windy City in the past and have a couple of our guys loaned out to a few shops right now as well. Beginning of the year we had a ton of loaners, now we are laying people off.

we have a ton of work on the books....but...no one is buying. hopefully this market comes around and people start spending money and banks start giving it out too.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant wait till school starts and eveon more to start working!!! ive been in construction all my life and its the only thing i have found that i enjoy to do......although you do still have the bad days haha.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

congrats.. i been in the ibew for like 6 1/2 years and i love what i do.. i know the economy sux.. but if we get the olympics.. forget about it.. plenty of work for everyone!!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pro2low
i cant wait till school starts and eveon more to start working!!! ive been in construction all my life and its the only thing i have found that i enjoy to do......although you do still have the bad days haha.
yeah I know. I'm doin small change work right now after being laid off of IBEW 21. Can't wait to learn the good stuff for 134. There are bad days with any job, but who can't enjoy playing with electricity all the time?

Originally Posted by McCs WS6
congrats.. i been in the ibew for like 6 1/2 years and i love what i do.. i know the economy sux.. but if we get the olympics.. forget about it.. plenty of work for everyone!!
If we get the Olympics no tradesman will have to worry about work for a LONG time. *crossing my fingers*
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do we have to wear button down shirts for orientation? It says collared shirts but I don't know if that includes polo's....
Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

my cousin is on his second year of apprenticeship. i do believe you need to wear the arc/fire resistant shirts, or at least a collared shirt at the least. something about being professional lol.

i love being an electrician. the good days far outnumber the bad days. only bad days is when its freezing out and you just can't get away from the wind. soon as you start bending pipe you get sweaty, then freeze your *** off from the wind. then you take break and freeze ur ***** off because your heart-rate goes back down.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
my cousin is on his second year of apprenticeship. i do believe you need to wear the arc/fire resistant shirts, or at least a collared shirt at the least. something about being professional lol.

i love being an electrician. the good days far outnumber the bad days. only bad days is when its freezing out and you just can't get away from the wind. soon as you start bending pipe you get sweaty, then freeze your *** off from the wind. then you take break and freeze ur ***** off because your heart-rate goes back down.
haha sounds sweet to me.

Its just for orientation and they didn't say anything about arc/fire-retardant stuff. I thought they give us polo's/dress requirements for class there.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

yea, i guess you wouldn't need the shirts until you started working with stuff. they probably make you buy them after you are in for a couple weeks...not entirely sure.

I do know they made him buy a brand new tool set FROM the union. cost was I wanna say around $150 if memory serves. you also can't miss more than 3 days or you get kicked out as well.

you winter apprentices get lucky being indoors making money while at school all winter.

and always remember as an apprentice its your job to be seen and not heard. you will get no respect until maybe 2 or 3 year and you have to prove yourself to everyone to get it. your first year you will get every **** job that no one wants- drilling/chipping concrete, moving pipe, moving material, garbage duty, basically laborer work if you never bent conduit before you will also get pissed at the fact that what takes you 4 hours to do, a journeyman can do in 5 minutes and look way better

i never had the pleasure of going through apprenticeship since I knew someone as an in. i will say that you learn a hell of a lot more on the job than in the school though. you do learn a lot of codes and little bs at the school though.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
yea, i guess you wouldn't need the shirts until you started working with stuff. they probably make you buy them after you are in for a couple weeks...not entirely sure.

I do know they made him buy a brand new tool set FROM the union. cost was I wanna say around $150 if memory serves. you also can't miss more than 3 days or you get kicked out as well.

you winter apprentices get lucky being indoors making money while at school all winter.

and always remember as an apprentice its your job to be seen and not heard. you will get no respect until maybe 2 or 3 year and you have to prove yourself to everyone to get it. your first year you will get every **** job that no one wants- drilling/chipping concrete, moving pipe, moving material, garbage duty, basically laborer work if you never bent conduit before you will also get pissed at the fact that what takes you 4 hours to do, a journeyman can do in 5 minutes and look way better

i never had the pleasure of going through apprenticeship since I knew someone as an in. i will say that you learn a hell of a lot more on the job than in the school though. you do learn a lot of codes and little bs at the school though.
haha The ONLY good thing about the winter will be being inside. We are not paid for the first 11 weeks! Yeah I know we are bitches for the first couple years depending on the job and what we can do, but you gotta put in your time in any trade work. I get that.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

you should talk to my cousin about that then lol. you would think he was a supervisor. I put him in his place a couple weeks ago though
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats, Im going in for my 3rd year schooling in January. I was 11th on the list when I took it, Its nice being high up and not having to wait to go through the list :-D Finally starting to make some decent money now and work isnt to bad, had a couple slow spots but still getting 40hr/week so thats good. Good luck, enjoy it!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wear a polo, thats what my brother said he is an apprentice too....then they will give us ibew 134 shirts later on......once we are in school its polo shirts jeans and workboots.

im lucky the company i work for puts all their pipe on pipe carts if thepipe needs to get moved just push it haha. i know all the jorneymen and foremen and supers already so i wont be treated and that big of a ******** haha.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

I will still treat you like a **** head dave.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont be mad my "cam only" car is faster than your heads and cam haha BAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quick Reply: Holy shit I'm M***erfu**ing #14. IBEW 134