Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Thinking of running group special on POWDER COATING wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can PC over chrome(and yes PC holds up very well to winter conditions). however the chrome must be in new like condition. if its starting to fail(pit, flake, etc) it will ruin the powder finish and continue to come off, taking the powder with it..including clear if I cleared over them, it won't work right regardless.

Chrome can either be taken off in a reversal process by a chrome shop, or media blasted off. The guy I use for large items that I can't blast myself has told me $50-60 per wheel to get chrome off which is a good price as chrome is a pain to blast off. Really the right way to do this would be have it blasted off, then I can coat them whatever color you want. If I just coated over them I would never be able to guarantee the work.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm I need to clean the wheels up a bit to see how bad they really are. I just took them off a couple of days ago. Where the spokes meet the lip they are hazy/rough but can be polished back up. However there a a few specks that feel rasied, which I'm assuming is the pitting. Once I get them cleaned up I'll let you know. If the chrome has to be taken off I might as well buy new wheels. They make this same style in black for about $600. Wish I thought about this about 4 weeks ago...the wheels were like new then.

I'll let you know once I get a chance to work on them some. I have some family up in Winfield so maybe one of these days that I'm up there I might swing by and let you take a look at the wheels to see what you think.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, sell is 847-561-4361 if you want to stop by. I'm in Rolling Meadows.

Quick Reply: Thinking of running group special on POWDER COATING wheels