Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

F-body in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RPM WS6 - Yep I average about 60 miles per day. Most of it is on I-294 going to O'hare where my work is currently located. For the gears, I actually have a set of 2.73s in the Z so I was considering swapping those in if I purchased a car with a 3.23 . Thanks again

deelong4002 - That was another concern for me in getting a DD F-body. Which is kind of why I was looking into a Firebird with opposite type colors. Figured since it has enough appearance differences for me to not lose to much interest in the Camaro. Plus the Firebird will remain 100% stock... where as the Camaro already has a decent amount done to it and I have a P1SC-1 setup going in probably in spring. So the power differences will be quite broad as well. But being the same type of car obviously will take away. I know RPW WS6 has this similar issue (he has a show Z and a DD Z). This is also why I was looking more into a C5 at 1st. But since its too low it would turn into a plow and stop the car in its tracks.

Last edited by MadIceV8; 01-18-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by deelong4002
In my opinion its just going to make your camaro loose its fun cause you would basically be driving the same car all the time. I like to drive my monte carlo to work, and then when its nice out, or on fridays i like to drive the camaro. Otherwise its not a toy anymore. One week i had to drive it every day cause my GF needed my car, and it rained every day, and i still havent forgiven myself. And then i noticed just how not so fun it is to drive in traffic and such. In my opinion, get yourself another front wheel drive vehicle. One that is way different than your camaro.
It can work both ways actually. It does take a bit away from the specialness of driving an F-body as a weekend fun car, but on the other hand, the fun factor of an F-body makes the daily drive soooo much better. I've spent a lot of years with boring and/or slow DD cars ('96 Bonneville, '02 Monte Carlo SS, '04 Cavalier), with my F-bodies being for show/cruise only...and now I've spent the past year driving an F-body as a near daily driver (and since October full daily driver), and I have to say that DD'ing one of these cars has been a blast. I don't think I'd want to go back. Once my '02 Z wears out, I'll probably pick up a 5th gen L99 Camaro as the next DD.

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
RPM WS6 - Yep I average about 60 miles per day. Most of it is on I-294 going to O'hare where my work is currently located. For the gears, I actually have a set of 2.73s in the Z so I was considering swapping those in if I purchased a car with a 3.23 . Thanks again
Good plan.

deelong4002 - That was another concern for me in getting a DD F-body. Which is kind of why I was looking into a Firebird with opposite type colors. Figured since it has enough appearance differences for me to not lose to much interest in the Camaro. Plus the Firebird will remain 100% stock... where as the Camaro already has a decent amount done to it and I have a P1SC-1 setup going in probably in spring. So the power differences will be quite broad as well. But being the same type of car obviously will take away. I know RPW WS6 has this similar issue (he has a show Z and a DD Z).
I think your plan is sound, the cars will be a bit different - especially in the power department. What helps me is the fact that I pretty much never drive my '98 Z (the show car) at all. It's basically only driven to judged car show events now. All the weekend cruise nites I attend are either with the daily driver '02 Z (if the weather looks iffy) or with my '71 Nova. Talk about a contrast there!

It'll be much better for you since the appearance and power difference will be very noticeable. Both of my F-bodies are LS1 Z28s in nearly the same color, with nearly the same wheels, and nearly the same minor bolt-ons. But even still, I do get enjoyment out of the '98 car when I drive it. It's like going to a Chevy dealer in '98 and driving it brand new again. I don't even realize the age and wear on my 82k mile '02 until I bounce from that car to the 15k mile '98.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deelong4002
In my opinion its just going to make your camaro loose its fun cause you would basically be driving the same car all the time. I like to drive my monte carlo to work, and then when its nice out, or on fridays i like to drive the camaro. Otherwise its not a toy anymore. One week i had to drive it every day cause my GF needed my car, and it rained every day, and i still havent forgiven myself. And then i noticed just how not so fun it is to drive in traffic and such. In my opinion, get yourself another front wheel drive vehicle. One that is way different than your camaro.
I just can't do the Wrong wheel drive boring car DD thing. now after driving f-cars for soo long. The rare times I do drive some other car I often wonder how anyone can drive such slow horribly boring sedate car! There is certain amount of Drama in everything you do in an F-car. Nothing is subtle. At one point I had a Wrong wheel drive car as a DD but never drove it because even sitting still in traffic I missed the feel of the Z28, the sound of the exhaust, the rattles and squeaks, and the torque of the engine even as I creep along at 10mph. I love the way other car guys in their boring DD's stare... cringing, Probably thinking how stupid I am for driving it in the weather while jealously saying under their breath, "oohhh if I had my _____ right now I'd show him whats up." lol! I never say that! To me sitting behind the wheel of anything else other than a big v8 sledgehammer of a car is just not driving.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

man, i got stuck in a light dusting of snow in the TA, and I couldnt even make it up the small hill at our old apartment. Wont ever see snow again, **** that!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
man, i got stuck in a light dusting of snow in the TA, and I couldnt even make it up the small hill at our old apartment. Wont ever see snow again, **** that!
Your modded and probably had performance tires on it = horrible in the snow. Even worse off if there was a stall or perf. oriented clutch.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

... Even worse off if there was a stall...
Stall makes the car easier to drive in the snow because there is a lot of slip in the converter making it a lot easier to start off really gently without spinning the tires.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Stall makes the car easier to drive in the snow because there is a lot of slip in the converter making it a lot easier to start off really gently without spinning the tires.
This is also why I think 2.73s would do better than 3.23s.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Customizing Director

But the converter is slipping to put you into a higher RPM range. So if it takes more RPMs to move the car then you would be in a higher TQ range. Which in my mind would make it easier to break the wheels.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

I would put 100-150 lbs of sand in the truck and that helped a lot, I DD'd a 1992 GT T5, 1994 Z/28 A4, and then a 1998 SS M6.

My current 2006 TBSS RWD has about 250 lbs of sand in back. These wide factory 20's need a little help here and there and the weight makes a big difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

There is certain amount of Drama in everything you do in an F-car. Nothing is subtle. At one point I had a Wrong wheel drive car as a DD but never drove it because even sitting still in traffic I missed the feel of the Z28, the sound of the exhaust, the rattles and squeaks, and the torque of the engine even as I creep along at 10mph. I love the way other car guys in their boring DD's stare... cringing, Probably thinking how stupid I am for driving it in the weather while jealously saying under their breath, "oohhh if I had my _____ right now I'd show him whats up." lol! I never say that! To me sitting behind the wheel of anything else other than a big v8 sledgehammer of a car is just not driving.
Just wanted to say, this statement is so true. The parts I bolded are my favorites, because I think the same stuff....especially the 10mph comment - sometimes I'll leave a bit of space in traffic, then jump on the gas a bit, even when I can't go over 10-15mph, just to feel the pull.

It takes somewhat of a hardcore car person to 100% DD one of these things in Chicago weather. It's not for everyone. If squeaks, rattles, and a brute of a car are not your thing, then avoid DD'ing one....especially in the winter.

Oh, one more thing. A 4th gen F-body feels like a luxury car compared to my Nova. Leaf springs and ladder bars make it feel like driving a forklift.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Your modded and probably had performance tires on it = horrible in the snow. Even worse off if there was a stall or perf. oriented clutch.
actually, at the time the car was just a bolt on car. No heads/cam or anything. Just headers. It didnt have the DR's on it either. Had regular radial tires.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
It didnt have the DR's on it either. Had regular radial tires.
275/40/17 street radials aren't enough for these cars in the snow. You need a skinnier tire that's built for snow/ice traction.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my 2000 Trans Am that is for sale Maybe you can buy mine?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Check out my 2000 Trans Am that is for sale Maybe you can buy mine?
I dunno if I trust those shady MFBA guys . Nice car, but I'm looking for something stock.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno if I trust those shady MFBA guys . Nice car, but I'm looking for something stock.
how do know i am an MFBA guy

Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

But the converter is slipping to put you into a higher RPM range. So if it takes more RPMs to move the car then you would be in a higher TQ range. Which in my mind would make it easier to break the wheels.
The stock converter hits the flash point pretty hard even with very little throttle input and that is where the loose stall really helps. It is true the stall does put the car into a range where it makes more torque but it does it a lot more gently than the stock converter making it really easy to so start off with no spin. It depends a lot on the converter as well. at one point I had a Piece of **** Fuddle 3600 in the car and that thing was loose as hell and would grab pretty hard at low throttle inputs which made it harder to drive. I'm a ton happier these days with the Vig 3600 thats for sure... the Vig is better all around.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

I drive my lt1 because I can't afford or store anything else. I have only 75lbs of sand in the back and 225/55or60/16 on the stock TA rims and the car is pretty good.

Once in awhile I get stuck in the damn parking spots, so I really shovel the spot I'm parked in. Other than that, it's pretty good.

You have to be light on the throttle
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't even think I could DD the firebird during the winters. Even my wifes car has a little trouble making it up the driveway. So I DD the talon. Too bad it didn't come with a V8. More torque is always fun with the snow.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

that's talon must be sweet.

Tons of power (if you want) and awd.

My brother even has blizzaks for his, it's a monster in the snow.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Customizing Director

TORCHD 02 TA - Because I used to be one... . But I used to go to all the MFBA stuff in 02-03 when I 1st bought the Camaro.

sixvi6-camaro - Makes sense.

Quick Reply: F-body in Snow