Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Scraping Squeak Noise, need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping Squeak Noise, need help please!

Good afternoon.

I am a long time hobby drag racer, and have owned several SBC camaro's and nova's, so I am fairly mechanical, but new to the LS1. I recently purchased a 2002 TA with only 24k miles, so I expected this thing to be fairly dependable for a while for a daily cruiser. After a year of cruising with no mechanical issues, I just installed long tube headers (no cats) and a full magnaflo exhaust.....no troubles there (thanks to all the advice on this forum) except scraped knuckles and arms. While out test driving for the second or third time, I get in front of my house and this loud scraping-squeal starts in. It sounds rotational cuz it is not a solid sound, but consistently intermittent match with the rpm's. First thing I did was take the belts off and start it up.....noise still there. I tripple checked the headers for clearance while the engine was running....no problems there. It sounds like it is coming from around the area just in front of the starter, but cant tell for sure. It has me worried to the point that I am not driving it..... I also got under the car with the engine running to see if it was the flex plate, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Any other ideas??? Thank You!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to guess it sounds like the exhaust might be hitting the drive shaft. Do you hear this noise while sitting still? It is possible that you have a cracked flexplate. Vince
Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this problem but it was from the idler pulley, i agree with vince it might be hitting the driveshaft. on my car you can tell clearly where if has rubbed against the exhaust once or twice... then i found out i was missing a bracket. id start there, also try posting this in the general maintenance section it will probably help more than the local forum.