Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

HELP!! what is this noise??!??!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! what is this noise??!??!?

Hey guys,

There is a sound coming from under the hood and ill tell you the exact process when it comes and goes.

Start car(cold or warm) its a 50/50 shot of hearing it or not. It is a very slight howling/whistling sound when its in park just after ignition.

If i put it in the reverse, the rpm's drop a bit and the noise become at least 5 times louder.

The slightest tap of the gas stops the howling/whistling and when i let off it goes right back.

If i drive for a few blocks or maybe 30 seconds, the sound is completely gone EVERY time.

This couldn't be something as simple as a belt could it?!? It has 51k miles and everything is stock. I am changing out my tensioner pulley this week end cuz it squeaks like a **** in humid weather.

Could this noise be from that or another pulley?

I don't know, please help fellas!!

thanks

Kevin

EDIT : IT IS NOT A KNOCK OR SLAP AT ALL!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Can you get a recording of it that you can post up?? Could be the belt, a tensioner, power steering, alternator.....hard to tell from the discription.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

mine does a similar thing but its the intake making the noise. It stops after the car is out of the cold startup mode. Mine is the same does it on startup then when you put it in gear and the idle drops it gets a little louder. But mine if I just let it idle in park till the idle drops to normal it goes away. I don't consider mine to be a problem, its just air noise.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
mine does a similar thing but its the intake making the noise. It stops after the car is out of the cold startup mode. Mine is the same does it on startup then when you put it in gear and the idle drops it gets a little louder. But mine if I just let it idle in park till the idle drops to normal it goes away. I don't consider mine to be a problem, its just air noise.
Good call, especially if you are running an aftermarket intake ...like Fast 90, you really get some resonance through them.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of cars make this sound during cold startups. I'm not sure what the technical explanation is behind it, though.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its your freeking smog pump kicking in, they blow clean air into the exhaust manifold durring startup so these cars can pass the government smog regulations. Thats what the black hose that runs arround the back of the motor and on the side of the drivers side fender and also it goes to the air lid.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

smog pump?!?!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not necessarily the smog pump, both of my cars don't have one and make the same noise on cold starts.