Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Insuring A Car With Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great i'll have to call tomorrow. I got full coverage through state farm and i kept every receipt (kinda makes me when i add all the parts up). Thanks for the help 02
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

I recently totaled mine in December and the state farm(MY company full coverage also). They do give u money for your mods but nothing close to the actual price for them...i have full exhaust and air intake at i got about a 1/3 of what they were worth they give you a percentage of what its worth... you can argue with them to give u more money some time they give you more and some time they dont....but i needed a daily drive so i couldnt wait i took what they gave me....SO in the grand scheme of thing i LOST money...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
Great i'll have to call tomorrow. I got full coverage through state farm and i kept every receipt (kinda makes me when i add all the parts up). Thanks for the help 02
I was tellign Ryan (RPM WS6) that since i have owned the car (2005) i made an excel spread sheet with everythig that i have bought for my car. from rims, tires, exhasut bolt ons, oil, paint you name it..

I will be calling grundy tomorrow...

I do not want to be out a shhit ton of moeny
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

if they total your car with mods cant you buy the car off them and sell the mods?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Here's a Link
Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ANPAC and Hagerty offer special insurance services too. I use Hagerty.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

You could also check out Rally Insurance Group in Elmhurst Il. I just got insurance threw them a few weeks ago and I'm paying $318 a year. The agreed value for my car is $22,000 and they also allow you to have Nitrous and still be insured by them. They have a 1,000, 3,000, and 6,000 mile limit plan. I also just got exempt from emissions in Illinois so it's perfect for me. They also include 'pleasure drives' which I was looking for. It's a lot more comforting knowing you'll get most of your money back if something bad happens.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Damn i really need to look into a different plan for my car. $318 a year! and how do you get exempt from emissions??
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

dude i have Hagerty and its agreed value. I paid $500 for a whole year full coverage as long as it is not a DD.

I put it down for $20,000 value and sent in pictures. I believe Hagerty is rated the #1 specialty car insurance in the country. Very friendly customer service as well.

Check them out. It also exempts you from emissions which is ******* sweet.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by litemup02
^Damn i really need to look into a different plan for my car. $318 a year! and how do you get exempt from emissions??
restricted driving
Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

I'm on the 3,000 mile plan
Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by litemup02
and how do you get exempt from emissions??
Buy a 1995 or older car and you're automatically exempt from emissions in IL. Yeah I know, that doesn't help much with the car you already have.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by dontmeSS
I believe Hagerty is rated the #1 specialty car insurance in the country.
Don't they limit mileage though? And don't they also require that your DD be newer than your show/pleasure car(s)? I think I remember these being the two reasons why I chose to go to Grundy instead.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Don't they limit mileage though? And don't they also require that your DD be newer than your show/pleasure car(s)? I think I remember these being the two reasons why I chose to go to Grundy instead.
It is up to 5,000 miles a year, which I dont have a problem with because I only drive it in the summertime. The policy that I am under is "specialty/exotic" not "classic" so there is no restriction on year of my DD. All that they require is that your DD is fully insured with another carrier.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

I have been thinking about Agreed value insurance for a while now. I beleive you also have to have 1 more car than licensed drivers in the household. The big question is if i get restricted milage how do I make it legit with the state? How do I make it offical? I don't want to rip emmisonsshit off then get a test notice.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

i called Grundy, guy gave me a quote to insure my car at $22,000 it will be $320 for the year...

The only thing is that you have to pay it all at once, no payments..
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Buy a 1995 or older car and you're automatically exempt from emissions in IL. Yeah I know, that doesn't help much with the car you already have.
I wish indiana would adopt that. I know quite a few owners of 93-95 LT1's in IL who are no where near emissions legal, lol. i refuse to put that fugly front plate holder on my car though.

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
i called Grundy, guy gave me a quote to insure my car at $22,000 it will be $320 for the year...

I'm tempted to change mine as well as i pay approx $170 every 6 months just for the collision/comp part of my insurance and grundy quoted me $173 a year for $10,000 stated value. I'm just unsure of the whole restricted use thing. it's not a DD, its stored in the winter and now that i have the 99 malibu which is actually in my name (the subaru was not) i could probably qualify. i do generally only drive the car to cruises and what not but what if i did make a run to the store or something. i suppose there is no way they can prove where you were driving to/from. The thing that concerns me is the "backup transportation" thing. the car technically is a backup if i did need to go somewhere and the other car wouldn't run but the only time it ever happend i didn't end up using the car because it was winter and i was driving the old subaru and it overheated and i limped it to the shop and got a rental since i was working and didn't want to get the T/A out of the garage in the winter.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 07-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

What are the coverages?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has State Farm and I was going to get the 83 on their antique car insurance when I still had it...... here is the problem (what they told me). If it has a cage they will drop you if they find out...... you have to take pictures of the car and they send them to the company that says ya or na...... if it is obvious that you have mods done for racing or mods that can be used for racing they will drop you.

They told me I could do what I want but the other company may say no or if I get in a wreck I may get droped when they see anything.

So if you get in a wreck and have nitrous or a a cage or race tires or something then you might be hosed........ just something to remember.

This is why a lot of guys take their cars off the street...... quite a few companies that will insure you no matter what you have unless you are going down the track but a few of them will insure you going down the track.........

I allways saw insurance like this...... it is to protect me if I hit someone or to cover the cost of my car stock...... I can remove the mods if the car is trashed....... people pull the saftey stuff out like the crash bumpers when they get serious with moding a car and if you get in a wreck and the insurance company see's that it is gone you are hosed (that is what State Farm told me to my face)........

I think even with Grundy you have to send in pictures but I think they are a little more leniant...... But if you say it is a pro street show car and the mods are for show and you get in a wreck racing then you are hosed......

Short and sweet it is like this........ expect at most to get the value of your car stock out of it........ chances are if you talk about mods it may hurt your case but it may not... I just know it is hard for them to put a value on things...... and for you and them to agree on it. Thats why for me I would just pull everything out and send the rest to the junk yard.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
What are the coverages?
This is what i told them. This was based on my 2002 Trans Am with 48K miles with all modded. I told them to insure it for $22K..

Here is there rules. Must not be a DD, must be stored in a garage. To be used for pleasure only. Unlimited miles.

Coverages for me was:

$308.00 - Comp and Collision

$30.00 - $100,000 csl Bodily Injury & Property Damage
Including statutory medical payments & Uninsured Motorist coverage

TOTAL: $308.00

And this is the list of items that you need to complete and return to them

Completed and satisfactory signed application.
· Check made payable to James A. Grundy Agency, Inc.
· Clear photographs (front/side view, 2 photos are sufficient).
· Signed usage endorsement (if attached).
· Signed youthful driver exclusion (if attached).
· Signed UM (Uninsured Motorist) form (if attached).
· Signed UIM (Under Insured Motorist) form (if attached).
· Signed PIP (Personal Injury Protection) form (if attached).
· Copy of Registration, if available.

Quick Reply: Insuring A Car With Mods?