Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Insuring A Car With Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Insuring A Car With Mods?

I have my 2002 Trans Am. Obviosuly it is modded. It is not my DD either.

Lets say if it were to ever get stolen or totalled, could i get my ins. co. to pay for my mods? I have State Farm right now. And it is on FULL COVERAGE as we speak b/c it is 'summer'

But i was jsut thinking about that jsut now. I would not want to be out of any money..

Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

show car insurance
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shortyb72
show car insurance
who offers that? will the cover the car obviosuly when the car is in storage?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Very good thread, I just put alot of money into my car as well, and I was wondering about this just the other day!

Hope some people chime in on whats the best thing to do.
Good Luck

James
Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Regular insurance won't cover anything extra. All they would be willing to pay is the blue book value of the car. My friend got burned badly when his bike was stolen, he only got about 1/4 of what it was worth. You're looking for agreed value insurance like Grundy Worldwide and others offer. There are some stipulations but they say it very reasonable.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by the schoob
You're looking for agreed value insurance like Grundy Worldwide and others offer. There are some stipulations but they say it very reasonable.

I'm a Grundy customer. The only major stipulations are that the car be garage kept when not in use, and that it can't be your daily driver (must have another car for work commuting, etc.). The car is only supposed to be used for pleasure driving, but mileage is unlimited.

I have my '71 Nova and '98 Z28 covered through them. The rates are VERY reasonable compared to normal insurance. I was paying about $700 per year for full coverage on my '98 Z with State Farm, and with Grundy I pay only $300 per year. They have different pay scales for antique cars vs. newer cars, so I actually pay even less for my '71 Nova even though the agreed value is higher than the '98 Z.

I checked Grundy out before I signed up with them. They had no complaints filed against them with the BBB, and I know some others that have used them without complaints so I felt comfortable.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Stated Value is what I have. After I hit a deer in my car they only wanted to give me 3k and take the car. Of course I fought it and got a little more and keep the car but to insure that didnt happen again I talked to my agent and switched it over to stated value. You need to have it apparised and a list of ever modification.

Though according to my agent if your car was totaled I should have been compensated for all the usable parts.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Launching!

I took some pictures and listed some of the more $$ mods + receipts i have made and took them to my insurance agent. Just to cover my a$$ if something did happen.

Hopefully it never comes to the point i have to see if that is enough to get the extra money i have invested. But he told me he would go to bat for me....

To get Show car insurance my agent said your car would have to be professionally appraised. Guess there aren't alot of places that do that?? I dont think my car is at the point i need to go that far.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

No appraisal is necessary for agreed value coverage through Grundy. All you have to do is send in pics to show that the car is completed and in mint/excellent condition. You also have to submit a form that answers some basic questions about the car, including major modifications.

Premiums are paid annually, and they mail/e-mail you a proof of insurance card just like any other insurance company.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I spoke to my USAA rep I was told that they will replace any parts that are on the car regardless if they are stock or aftermarket.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I'm a Grundy customer. The only major stipulations are that the car be garage kept when not in use, and that it can't be your daily driver (must have another car for work commuting, etc.). The car is only supposed to be used for pleasure driving, but mileage is unlimited.

I have my '71 Nova and '98 Z28 covered through them. The rates are VERY reasonable compared to normal insurance. I was paying about $700 per year for full coverage on my '98 Z with State Farm, and with Grundy I pay only $300 per year. They have different pay scales for antique cars vs. newer cars, so I actually pay even less for my '71 Nova even though the agreed value is higher than the '98 Z.

I checked Grundy out before I signed up with them. They had no complaints filed against them with the BBB, and I know some others that have used them without complaints so I felt comfortable.
Do you have the number to them? I want to give them a call
Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Do you have the number to them? I want to give them a call
Jonas, go to grundy.com and check out the website (which also has a quote estimate program that was very accurate in my case). If you want to call them, the main numer is right on the homepage.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

I used to work for State Farm for years, before that Amica Insurance. Long story short you need to get either show car insurance or a stated value policy.

Now here’s the long story. The insurance company will always try to replace the value of what you have the problem is agreeing on that value after an accident. Mods or not they will use any comparable car they can find. If your car is fully tricked out and you can find other cars with similar mods they will take that into consideration.

But here is the problem and I will use my own daily driver as an example (1999 SS, 140k miles, new clutch, brakes etc.) my car is old but has been very well maintained with a book value of perhaps $5k. I have been to several dealers to look at 02 Firebirds with half the miles and found that I wouldn’t even trade strait up for most of them. So even if my insurance company gave me $10k for a loss I can’t find another car in the same condition as mine and I would probably have to do the clutch and brakes all over again.

This is all with a stock (mostly) Camaro. It’s just not possible after an accident to convince anyone (let alone an insurance company) that your car was worth more then another comparable car.

And here is another problem; there is a difference between add-on mods and replacement mods. If for example you added sub-frame connectors (a part the car did not have originally) it’s easy for the insurance company (add on price-minus depreciation=$$$) but when I changed my clutch I went with an upgrade to the LS7 clutch. But the insurance views that as something I had to replace anyway so it doesn’t add any substantial value to the vehicle, same with the brakes.

Anyway I could go on and on, best bet get a stated value policy. If you can’t document everything you can, keep sales adds for cars that closely match yours, record offers you have had for your own car etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Jonas, go to grundy.com and check out the website (which also has a quote estimate program that was very accurate in my case). If you want to call them, the main numer is right on the homepage.

Hope that helps.
Thank Ryan

I appreciate it

Can you PM me more details on them? I got quote, i just want to get your personel experience with them..

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 07-09-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, 175 for the year I think Ill be switching def. going to give them a call
Old 07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the lady at state farm about this very same thing and she said that if i had receipts for everything that it would be covered...as much as i'd like to believe that.... i am still going to get something in writing from them or go with another company
Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by litemup02
I asked the lady at state farm about this very same thing and she said that if i had receipts for everything that it would be covered...as much as i'd like to believe that.... i am still going to get something in writing from them or go with another company
I have State Farm Insurance on all of my cars. A buddy of mine has a Chrysler 300c with rims, sounds, and so forth. His car was broken into and t his stereo system was stolen, he has state farm also. They replaced all his aftermarket stereo system parts. He was told by state farm as long as he had all his receipts they would cover it and they did! Everybody in my family has state farm and we are very pleased. Awesome insurance company if you ask me
Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

02sleeperz28, how much did his premiums go up? I got about 11K in my IROC-Z and i NEED good insurance.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
02sleeperz28, how much did his premiums go up? I got about 11K in my IROC-Z and i NEED good insurance.
From my understanding his premiums did not go up because this was a no fault incident. My stepfather had rims on his old suburban and the truck was stolen with the rims on it. I just called and asked him did his premium go up and he said no.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

a guy I was talking to had full coverage and he totalled his car and said that insurance paid black book value and gave him $250 dollars for mods. he had way more than 250 in it and he got raped lol.

Quick Reply: Insuring A Car With Mods?