Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Seeking Midwest's advice for my predicament.. Possible illegal traffic stop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juiced, especially now that IL allows 35% tint, getting pulled over for that will **** me off every time.. But it's cool because I won't transport alcohol again until I turn the magic age. I'll sit there with a grin on my face and thank the officer for wasting my time when he finds my tint to be legal.

Kind of like giving a sober 20 year old a ticket for possession of unopened beer.. I thought confiscation of the beer was plenty punishment?!? Nope, instead our economy will suck that much more because now I can't go out and buy Forza 3, MW2, or any other fun stuff for a little while.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
Juiced, especially now that IL allows 35% tint, getting pulled over for that will **** me off every time.. But it's cool because I won't transport alcohol again until I turn the magic age. I'll sit there with a grin on my face and thank the officer for wasting my time when he finds my tint to be legal.

Kind of like giving a sober 20 year old a ticket for possession of unopened beer.. I thought confiscation of the beer was plenty punishment?!? Nope, instead our economy will suck that much more because now I can't go out and buy Forza 3, MW2, or any other fun stuff for a little while.
haha you dont know how many times ive heard that and said it after a close call or ticket. just put it in a backpack or bury it under **** in your trunk and your set! ask me how i know lol

it is real nice being 21 now though and not having to worry about this sh*t!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I guess he could always say the 'it looked like it was darker than 35%' BS...
BS?

All they have to say is that you changed lanes without a signal or something along those lines, and it was Probable Cause to make a stop.

In one post you talk about just manning up and paying the fine...But it others you're whining cause you think you can weasel out of the ticket on some technicality. Like the people that want to get out of speeding tickets because the cop wrote the color of their car wrong on the ticket.

Here's some advice: Pay the fine. Next time you're transporting booze underage, throw a coat or blanket over it LIKE EVERY OTHER UNDERAGER with an -fbody. Whoops, common sense.

Last edited by b00sted; 11-03-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by b00sted
BS?

All they have to say is that you changed lanes without a signal or something along those lines, and it was Probable Cause to make a stop.

In one post you talk about just manning up and paying the fine...But it others you're whining cause you think you can weasel out of the ticket on some technicality. Like the people that want to get out of speeding tickets because the cop wrote the color of their car wrong on the ticket.

Here's some advice: Pay the fine. Next time you're transporting booze underage, throw a coat or blanket over it LIKE EVERY OTHER UNDERAGER with an -fbody. Whoops, common sense.
Dont be a dick, I hate seeing self righteous people on here that act like they dont care when they get a ticket and dont ever try to get out of them regardless of whether it was a legal stop or not! I know I sure as hell would be, I dont have that kind of money to be shelling out! Im sure almost all of us would be trying to find away around it...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrob56
Dont be a dick, I hate seeing self righteous people on here that act like they dont care when they get a ticket and dont ever try to get out of them regardless of whether it was a legal stop or not! I know I sure as hell would be, I dont have that kind of money to be shelling out! Im sure almost all of us would be trying to find away around it...
It's his fault for leaving it out in plain sight. I've been drinking since I was a Freshman in High School, and we were driving around with beer/booze 24/7...Never once left it out in plain sight because that's not a smart thing to do when you're not supposed to have it.

Might as well have left a bong laying in the front seat too.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Normally, I'd agree with you. It's been 11 years since I last had a ticket (knocking on wood), but I would just pay the fines and never fight back then since I was guilty anyway.

These days I'm not so sure though. Have you seen the latest round of Cook county property tax bills? Holy ****. And let's not forget that we have the highest sales tax in the nation now. Local government has enough of our cash, and at this point I'd do anything possibile to get out of giving them any more of my money to waste.

So, guilty or not, I can't blame people for wanting to fight these days. Personally, I'm ready to start a ******* revolution over the tax situation.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

b00sted it's along the lines of what RPM just said. I read somewhere that my local PD made over $340,000 in ordinance violations alone last year, most all of them being possession or consumption of alcohol. At $275 a ticket it adds up quick, and the amount of money we as consumers (let alone already broke college students) can spend depletes.

So I came on here to ask if any of you thought it was a legit argument, but I did not think of some points others had brought up. Sot thank you guys for the advice, I'm going to pay the ticket and forget about it and do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by CHRRRIS; 11-03-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

It's his fault for leaving it out in plain sight. I've been drinking since I was a Freshman in High School, and we were driving around with beer/booze 24/7...Never once left it out in plain sight because that's not a smart thing to do when you're not supposed to have it.

Might as well have left a bong laying in the front seat too.
Im right there with ya and always had it in a bag for the most part, there were a few instances we were asking for trouble. But you can blame him at all for trying to fight it...I know I would!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrob56
Well tint laws are BS in the first place, so ya getting pulled over for it is BS too. I mean really its like getting pulled over for turn signal or some other fishing bullshit. They dont care how dark your windows are but theyd love to write you a ticket for something else like what the OP got!

Mines isnt tinted but will be this winter, but no one cares in Indiana anyways so...
I think it is more for the saftey of the cop, if he or she is making a traffic stop and can't see into the car as they are walking up then that is a possible hazzard to their health... I am not a big fan though of dark tint though... the factory stuff tends to be fine for me.

Some cops would just take it but if it got around that they took it and did not give a ticket but gave one to someone else then that would not look good. A lot of times most traffic stop is up to the officers discretion but when it comes to things like beer there is not much leeway...

I mean one guy on here got mad because a cop gave him a ticket for doing double the speed limit but could not realize that he was lucky that he did not take his liscence and impound his car.... Even though you could have got out of the tint ticket he could have gave you one then you would have had to spend all that time getting out of it.

I am respectfull as I can to cops when I get pulled over..... I got a warning for speeding once (like 10 over on the highway) and a seat belt ticket (was just going around the corner but should have been wearing one). Got pulled over a few other times for speeding and once for a bad head light... no tickets... then once for 100 in a 40..... got a verbal warning out of that one... I know for sure that if I was a jerk to the cop I would have spend the night in jail.

With all the drunk driving and underage drinking out there you can't really blame the cop for giving you a ticket..... and look at it this way... no points off your liscence or anything and if you were smart you would talk the DA and see if you can do some community service or something and get it droped if it is a first offence and you have a clean record.....
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand. When I called the PD I asked about community service but they said for ordinance violations they don't offer that.. Like I said it's not going to be on my permanent criminal record anyways, it will stay at City Hall and I have no plans of applying for a career type job around here anyways. Thanks for the constructive advice though.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

b00sted it's along the lines of what RPM just said. I read somewhere that my local PD made over $340,000 in ordinance violations alone last year, most all of them being possession or consumption of alcohol. At $275 a ticket it adds up quick, and the amount of money we as consumers (let alone already broke college students) can spend depletes.
That's how any suburban department has to make their money. Through ticket revenue.

That's why in Chicago, you have to be a REAL dick head to come close to getting a ticket like that.

Here in my neighborhood, the CPD guys usually take the beer from the young kids at the park, and drop it off at our garage.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I was in Chicago I would have offered the cop $100 to not give me a ticket.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I was in Chicago I would have offered the cop $100 to not give me a ticket.
You wouldn't have gotten one regardless...Unless maybe in some district up north where they don't do any real work.

But out here, like I said, you gotta be a complete dick to get a ticket.

I mean I've been sitting at the light on my Harley with plates that expired in March of 06...And some 022 District guys pulled up behind me. I'm watching them in the mirror figuring I'm getting pulled over. The passenger notices my plate, taps his partner on the shoulder and points at it, and they both bust out laughing. Then light goes green and I ride away.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

i have limo tint on all my cars and no tint is legal where I live or have lived. I always roll the windows down before I even stop, both of them and turn all the lights inside on and put my hands on the wheel. It makes the cop feel safer and not as worried. I have been pulled over a dozen times, and only recieved 1 ticket, Never once have they mentioned the tint.

Like others have said cover the beer if your underage, and just play it safe. It's a great day when you turn 21, enjoy it, cuz after that the birthdays just suck!! lol

Good luck if you fight it.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I paid the ticket and am just going to play it safe until the big day (about 10 months from now lol).
Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
It's a great day when you turn 21, enjoy it, cuz after that the birthdays just suck!! lol
Nah, ya got one more to look forward to. 25. Insurance drops like a rock. After that it's all pretty pointless though.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

It doesnt matter how you look at it cops do whatever they want when they want as long as the term "probable cause" comes outa their mouth your screwed.. and as for the beer that was just ignorance on your part, every f-body has a flap to block off the truck area.. USE IT! and as for everyone trying to get outa tickets not everyone does.. only the people that are asking for a ticket always try to get out of it Pay the fines and learn from your mistakes. tinted windows are tinted windows they look darker or lighter depending on the car and the only way you getting outa a ticket for that is a recpit saying you have 35% or lighter in court take it from someone who drove around with limo tints for 3 years and got god only knows how many tickets for it.. they dont care how dark it is tinted widows are tinted windows!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

I didn't read everyone replies but a cop can pull you over for pretty much anything, even if they just suspect something is wrong. Get a lawyer, pay your fine & be done with it.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Teching In

How did this turn out?

I would nhave taken receipt to court...!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Launching!

holly dead thread batman!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Seeking Midwest's advice for my predicament.. Possible illegal traffic stop?