Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

RIP Spero Zappas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy RIP Spero Zappas...

I lost a good friend on Saturday. I have known Spero for several years. He was a customer and we became friends. I helped with the build of his Firebird and the LS2 based stroker Solstice. I will really miss him. I will miss his stories and how animated he was when he told them. There is no doubt in my mind that he was going over 100 mph and I am sure that the "draft" threw the car as he passed the truck. With it being cold, the tires probably didn't grab. Thank God that he didn't hurt anyone else. Spero... I hope you had the time of your life!!!

He loved this picture that I took of him.

November 28, 2009

Sun-Times Media Wire
A Joliet man is dead after being ejected from a car he was allegedly racing against another vehicle Saturday morning on Interstate 55 near southwest suburban Plainfield, State Police said.

Spero Zappas, 63, of Joliet, was driving an orange 2006 Pontiac Solstice north on Interstate 55 when he attempted to pass a semi truck in the right lane at a high rate of speed. Zappas lost control of the Solstice when he attempted to change from the center lane back to the right lane at a curve in the road, according to Illinois State Police Joliet District.

The car went airborne into the right ditch at 6:59 a.m. and Zappas was ejected from the vehicle. Zappas and the car came to rest in the ditch, State Police said. Zappas was pronounced dead on the scene at 7:45 a.m., according to the Will County Coroner’s office.

Witnesses told police the Solaris was traveling north at a high rate of speed with an unidentified white vehicle, State Police said.

Zappas was not wearing a seat belt. Preliminary information showed no signs of alcohol, according to State Police.

Last edited by NoMoreLS1; 08-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Unhappy

I'm sure that he is telling the story of his death in heaven right now with his arms flailing in the air while making sounds of the engine.

The man truly had the heart of an 18 year old. He was a true friend to me and I will miss jet skiing with him.

I, like many others, got a ride in the twin turbo charged, V6 VW Bettle. That car was wickedly fast (445 front wheel horsepower) and had unreal stopping power with all Porsche suspension and braking.

People would always gather around to hear a story told by Spero. He was perhaps the best story teller this world has ever known.

Dyno of Solstice before new front end and paint.

85 mph on GPS jet ski.

http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr358/Donor14/Spero/?action=view&current=SperoandJuan.flv
Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Jesus man.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

yikes that is scary, I got into a bad accident going 135mph and slamming into the median on the highway. Blew the wheels off the car while the center sections were still bolted to the car.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for the loss..... he looked to be in good shape for his age. i pray that i am that active at 63 years old.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear........just remember the good times.

he looked like he was alot of fun to hang with........
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Location: where ever i can store my car. (palos hills,il for now)

so sorry man, that sucks bad, i think i knew him too, not 100% sure but still what a big loss.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Teching In

thank you so much for posting this me and my mother were long time freinds of spero`s is really helped alot to be able to see what happened. and to get some closure by finally being able to see what had taken place. also if u have any more pictures of spero would be greatly appreciated

thanks alot Josh and Teri
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by boogeyman
thank you so much for posting this me and my mother were long time freinds of spero`s is really helped alot to be able to see what happened. and to get some closure by finally being able to see what had taken place. also if u have any more pictures of spero would be greatly appreciated

thanks alot Josh and Teri
You and your mother were lucky to have him as a friend. He was some character! I am going to miss hearing him say, "Love from the Greek."

Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I actually was thinking of another Spiro when I read this thread at first with a similar name. Did a search and came up with this. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=193373

Still sad but I assume it was a quick way to go! Much better than suffering. Godspeed Spero! Vince
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Teching In

yea i heard that i dont know how many times he was a great guy to kow and to have as a freind. he will be missed
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss.....
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omg wow!! This is really sad. Makes you realize how much you should respect what's under the hood at all times. The man didn't desevr this at all. At lease he died doing what he loved to do.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Default Spero

I wanted to say thank you so much to all the great comments regarding Spero he was my loving cousin..We miss him dearly.

Quick Reply: RIP Spero Zappas...