Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Contemplating... From LS1 f-body to a Diesel truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get roughly 21 - 22 MPG highway in my powerjoke. But, I think as far as diesels goes any of them can be good and fast and reliable. Just depends how much you want to spend.

If you do not have the pockets for a 6 leaker like mine I would tell you to pass it up. I have spent more money fixing my truck than I have modding my car. But, it is a good truck once you get rid of the EGR, and put in head studs.

Just do a lot of reading and then make a decision.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Duramax
Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

This is my DD/toy hauler. It's a 2006 Dodge ram 2500 with the 5.9L. I have a tuner on it and it is a fun truck to haul crap with but is slow as ***** compared to my old 10 second Camaro or my Cobra that I have. It's your run of the mill dodge truck with some goodies thrown at it to make it a lot more comfortable and more enjoyable when driving for days at a time.

I get 18mpg in the summer and 16.5 in the winter, turn the jake brake on and let her warm up for 5-10 min before I leave in the morning, mix city and highway on my way to and from work 6 days a week. Now on the straight highway I get 24mpg cruising at 70mph unloaded. The Cummins is a tractor engine that doesn't get good fuel economy when cruising above 2000rpms. I plan on getting a set of 3.42 or 3.55 gears to put in the truck, drop the RPMs that I operate at on the highway and load up the turbo more at low speeds. I have drove the 6.7 many of miles and they are nice trucks but they are designed to haul crap and not be a little grocery getter. I did a haul from indy to chicago and back with an open car hauler driving 75-80 mph and I got 17mpg, no car on the way up there and a cobra on the way home. My grandfather has a 12 valve all mechanical engine in his 1990 Dodge 1 ton that has a 5sp manual and that truck has 270k plus miles on it and still fires up on the first turn of the key. I have 79k on my truck and the only problem with it so far has been the TPIM, big fuse block that powers the whole truck, went out on the truck and left it stranded.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not a ford guy by any means but i drive a 7.3 DRW at my work and they have a tuff drivetrain. It doesn't have a ton of miles only like 180K but it still runs like new and i beat the snot out of it. Still on the orginal trans with no flushes or anything. The truck has a utility bed and a liftgate and weighs 9,000 empty and when i drive like an *** it still gets 12mpgs city. Truck doesn't get shut off all day any only travels like 180miles a day. Starts when it cold and isn't plugged it too, it cheifs some serious smoke when its 10* out and not plugged in, it also surges like a **** and sounds like its eating itself alive when its cold but it always smooths out back to normal.

But i had a truck thats was exactly the same as the ford but a dodge drove it the same way in it got 15mpgs. Also neither of these trucks have a programer with a econo tune just stock. Dodge always started if plugged in when cold out, but if not it wouldn't turn over but that could have just been weak batteries.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Get a cummins and dont ditch your car you will regret it. I have both and my car is apart and i miss it so bad. I have a new 6.7 cummins and if you can find one id get a nice 5.9. It is nice to know that as long as the front wheels are on the ground it will pull anything you hook to it and still start every time no matter how hard i beat her.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

I had a 2002 Dodge 24 valve. It had stacks,and a decent box on it. It would get bout 22-24mpg. And smoked ok. It was a all around good truck. But my next one would forsure be a duramax. 2000SS1979s truck is retarted good on fuel. It don't like pulling my 13,000 pound skid steer. But what truck would.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everybody who I have talked to has dodge rams with the cummins. A lot of them have had powerstrokes and duramax's. They have told me that the cummins is just that much better of a motor and it is relaible as all hell.

If you can do both, f-body and a diesel truck. Then do it. A diesel truck is fun, but you will miss the f-body for sure.

btw nice trucks guys!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

The new Ford turbo shold be good! I have a F350 now with a 6L and it stinks! DDriving around a one ton all time time gets old. My buddy has the Duramax and has had alot of problems. I would wait a couple of months for the new truck if your going to get one.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Teching In

i had my 7.3 with after market ball bearing turbo,cold air,full magnaflo 5" with muffler delete,140hp chip, 3" lift on 18's and 35",leather full sound system, crew cab long box and murdered out...the vette is fun to have now but i miss that truck..

Quick Reply: Contemplating... From LS1 f-body to a Diesel truck