Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling

Just got this from a buddy in Cleveland. Be careful driving through Ohio.

Feff

Officer Estimates Enough For Speeding Convictions

By: Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that an officer's visual estimation of speed is enough to support a conviction if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy, and experienced in watching for speeders.

The court's 5-1 decision says independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary.

The court upheld a lower court's ruling against a driver who challenged a speeding conviction that had been based on testimony from police officer in Copley, 25 miles south of Cleveland. The officer said it appeared to him that the man was driving too fast.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just went to court over this

Trooper said he had me on visual at 69 but when I asked to see the radar reading it said 63 (had the cruise set on 62). Well he put 69 on the ticket and we went to court. Judge through out the 69 mph "estimate" when the trooper told him he clocked me at 63

So when are the officer's going to get there eyes calibrated and there reaction times tested to make these estimates.

More BS from the great state of Ohio
Old 06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

WOW!! That is F'd up beyond all belief!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Oh hell....
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

How about when I guesstimate when they are speeding!! "Yes your honor, I guess they were going around 80 mph when they blew through the intersection" What a f-ing joke.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

My daughter's boyfriend got a speeding ticket for 62 in a 35. It was on an exit ramp coming off I90! I've never heard of exit ramp speed limits. There are no signs with speed limits posted at that exit.

Are there entrance ramp speed limits too?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by timberman00
My daughter's boyfriend got a speeding ticket for 62 in a 35. It was on an exit ramp coming off I90! I've never heard of exit ramp speed limits. There are no signs with speed limits posted at that exit.

Are there entrance ramp speed limits too?
Fight that in court, its unsafe to enter traffic at anything less than the speed that traffic travels on that road. So assuming the speed limit is 65 he was just trying to make it up to speed so that he did not endanger the lives of anyone while merging into traffic.

I wanna see more examples of cases with this law. Im not sure judges want to hear a he said she said argument all day over some bs law.

Dont get me wrong busting speeders is one thing but lets do it the right way.. lets not allow assumption based tickets .
Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
Fight that in court, its unsafe to enter traffic at anything less than the speed that traffic travels on that road. So assuming the speed limit is 65 he was just trying to make it up to speed so that he did not endanger the lives of anyone while merging into traffic.

I wanna see more examples of cases with this law. Im not sure judges want to hear a he said she said argument all day over some bs law.

Dont get me wrong busting speeders is one thing but lets do it the right way.. lets not allow assumption based tickets .
I think he was exiting the hwy, but either way you're correct those ramps are there for accellerating and decellerating. IMO, if you are below the posted speed of either the road you just left or the road you are headed towards you shouldn't be able to be ticketed
Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

So the old "Please provide the radar reading and recent calibration information" won't really mean anything in court since the officer's perception is considered 100% correct assuming he or she attended a class or two?

And this ruling seems to make the radar detectors a bit less functional in OH.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just another cash cow to reduce court costs. I talked to a brother of a co-worker who is a cop and since the economy is bad they have been pushing them to write more tickets. Came straight from the cops mouth no lie!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs down

Hate to say it, but all Ohio State Troopers are trained to be able to pull you over just by watching you drive your car. Wonder why the Buckeye has a nickname like the browneye, there moving radar guns are bad enough. Ohio has been turning awful red these past couple of years.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

Lawmakers Pan Speeding Ticket Ruling, Working On Bill To Require Radar

Associated Press June 9th, 2010

COLUMBUS — Two leading state lawmakers want to overturn a ruling by the Ohio Supreme Court that says police officers can write speeding tickets just by looking at a vehicle and estimating how fast it is going.

State Rep. Robert Hagan, a Democrat from Youngstown, and state Sen. Tim Grendell, a Republican from suburban Cleveland, are working on bills that would require officers to use radar or other technology to verify a vehicle’s speed before issuing a ticket.

The American Civil Liberties Union says last week’s court ruling creates the potential for abuse.

In its decision, the high court said independent verification of a driver’s speed is not necessary if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in watching for speeders.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Solution is simple... If there's room, you run! Nuff said! ******* cops are *** holes around my area. They profile the **** out of you if you have anything nice... so you really have no choice but to keep your eyes peeled and prepare to duck down side streets or hit the highway LOL
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM

So if i work at a car dealership, do you think i could use my experience with car speeds to argue a ticket in Ohio? what makes them more qualified to guess my speed? i could run, and when they say i was goin in excess of 130, i could say, "nah, i didnt break 45...i'm an expert"...why even install radar at all if they are gonna guestimate it anyways?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is all absolute bullshit...if this law was in effect in Iowa, I'd probably just outrun the cops...they are usually dumb as **** anyway
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a bunch of BS.

Do the necessary:
http://www.ratemycop.com/
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
this is all absolute bullshit...if this law was in effect in Iowa, I'd probably just outrun the cops...they are usually dumb as **** anyway
Quick question, have you taken your car to about 670-million mph?

Quick Reply: Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling