Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

LS1 in west/southwest chicagoland

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in west/southwest chicagoland

Ok this is my last request for awhile I swear

I am trying to get a tune here shortly and want to get all my kinks ironed out beforehand so I can actually get the tune and the most out of it.
I have a feeling that I am running only on 7 cylinders, or more specifically 1 cylinder is not firing all the time. The weird thing is that I am not throwing any codes for a misfire

When I did my headers and the coil packs got put back on, the front 1 on my pass side was random firing or not firing at full strength. well after figuring that out some massaging with a wrench got it to seem like it was firing properly again.
My car just doesnt seem like it has the power it should and the exhaust pressure coming out the pass. side exhaust is noticeably weaker than the driver side (I have true duals and no mufflers so its a straight shot and both sides should be about the same)

Is there anyone in the west/southwest side that would be willing to help me out by swapping a coil pack onto my pass. side to see if it is firing like it should?
Or knows of a shop that works on LS's and might have 1 that I could swap on quick to see.
Otherwise maybe some knowledge or insight on why this might be? Maybe im just paranoid and the car should throw a code if it was the case. I just wanted to post this up and I will be doing more troubleshooting tomorrow, I would just hate to get it tuned and not be able to because there is a problem.

Again thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Bryceslu; 08-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

I already pulled the wires on the front 2 on pass side and put a plug in the end and tested for spark as the car was running. Both seemed to spark about the same, hard to tell.

Well I just pulled the front 2 on pass side and the very front plug is a little darker on the back of the post and the white down the middle. and the plugs have less than a 100 miles on em. So my guess is that it is missing and not firing every time, so every couple fires or whatever its actually way rich. I'll test the wires and see if its getting the correct voltage, but I am guessing it is the coil itself as I had problems with it initially.

So anyone somewhat nearby have just a single coil or at least can swap 1 out to test?

Last edited by Bryceslu; 08-02-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 AM
9 Second Club

Straightline Performance their number is in my sig. Good luck
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well I found out something today...both side exhaust pressure is equal at cold startup which would be open loop.

After it warms up and goes to closed loop is when I seem to have the issue.

Does this sound like a tune issue or something else I can try to troubleshoot?