Tuning in MN

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning in MN

Hey Guys,

Who are the reputable tuners in the land of lakes?

-DOA
Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DRM did a great job on my car. He's not too far from Lakeville.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Do not go to doug rippie unless you have a corvette! He doesn't really out a whole lot into his tunes! Pretty much he just does a WOT tune, and sends you on your way. If you want WOT and driveability send me a pm, I will get you hooked up!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transam69230
Do not go to doug rippie unless you have a corvette! He doesn't really out a whole lot into his tunes! Pretty much he just does a WOT tune, and sends you on your way. If you want WOT and driveability send me a pm, I will get you hooked up!
Umm, since when did a corvette come with a different motor then a fbody? And he tuned my car throughout the RPM range, otherwise why would I be making well over 550HP and still get 29MPG? My car idles perfect, has perfect A/F. When have you had your car tuned there?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Umm, since when did a corvette come with a different motor then a fbody? And he tuned my car throughout the RPM range, otherwise why would I be making well over 550HP and still get 29MPG? My car idles perfect, has perfect A/F. When have you had your car tuned there?
Im sure he is talking about the tune that he did to my car had poor drivability, I will tell you I was far from impressed with his work.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
Im sure he is talking about the tune that he did to my car had poor drivability, I will tell you I was far from impressed with his work.
Did Doug or Mike tune the car?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

DRM, Doug has tuned my car and it is fantastic. Hes a very knowledgable guy, but sometimes he can be very "set in his ways"... He built my motor so he knows whats in it.

There are a couple other tuners local too. Carl of CJtunes, John Boos of Boos Performance. Other then the ones i have listed, i wouldn't go to anyone else. they are a waste of money and time. So why do you need a tune?

pm me if you need more info...

Last edited by 1BADBURB; 09-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I second Cj tunes and I will not bring my car back to DRM
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
DRM, Doug has tuned my car and it is fantastic. Hes a very knowledgable guy, but sometimes he can be very "set in his ways"... He built my motor so he knows whats in it.

There are a couple other tuners local too. Carl of CJtunes, John Boos of Boos Performance. Other then the ones i have listed, i wouldn't go to anyone else. they are a waste of money and time. So why do you need a tune?

pm me if you need more info...
Hell, I thought Boos shut down a few years ago. Or did they just move to a new location?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Launching!

^^^ yea, Boos moved to a diff location. its now at his house with a big pole barn in back. a LOT more convenient for him... He has been keeping busy building some very high N/A motors.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Did Doug or Mike tune the car?
Doug tuned it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Hey Guys,

Thought I would update you on this. I had a few local Vette friends refer me to a guy in Shakopee mostly known for Tuning Stangs. I was turned onto them for a few reasons. Shakopee is way closer to me than buffalo. They used EFI. And a good friend referred them to me.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure I'm impressed by the Tune. I feel like they only tuned WOT. The idle on my Baby cam feels really lobey. The Car shakes alot at idle. I've read that a 226/226 cam should be pretty civil if tuned correctly. I also had to have them retune the idle because it kept dying after RPM to neutral pulling up to a stop signs. It would bounce of zero and go to 1500 or so and than flat line. After the adjustment, now RPMs fall really slow to idle and idle at 1100 until I come to a complete stop. Frustrating. I also have the unexplained IDC of 86% (442RWHP) on 46lb Fast injectors when my Stock 36lb only needed 80% for 420RWHP? I can't help but think she is running really Rich. Not to mention I thought I should get more out of my Mods than 442RWHP. I have the EFI file if anyone is willing to peek at it. I don't have the logs tho.

All this concern and It cost me 550$ That was more than these other guys wanted, but I hoped for a top notch tune and was willing to pay more for the proximity of them. BTW, they charged me 50$ for a Credit. I was told that was BS cause EFI doesn't use Credits like HP does....

So.....Long story short, I'm not happy and I'm now convinced that I need to Buy EFI and a Wideband O2 and learn this tuning crap for myself. I'm left thinking that nobody will care as much as I would about how spot on my tune will be. In my business, I take great pride in giving my customers the best end result possible. I wish everyone operated like this.

-DOA
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Launching!

The only shop in shakopee i can think of that works on Stangs, is APS. And todd knows what he is doing.

Why didn't you listen to any of the people who posted their remarks here? There were 3 tuners primarily listed that have proven better results.

Hopefully you get this figured out. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
The only shop in shakopee i can think of that works on Stangs, is APS. And todd knows what he is doing.

Why didn't you listen to any of the people who posted their remarks here? There were 3 tuners primarily listed that have proven better results.

Hopefully you get this figured out. Good luck.
Well, I explained my reasons for going a different route, but even more so I had already gone that route before I received these additional referrals....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Wow after reading all these posts all I can say is told you so! Should have went with CJ tunes.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DOA
Hey Guys,

Thought I would update you on this. I had a few local Vette friends refer me to a guy in Shakopee mostly known for Tuning Stangs. I was turned onto them for a few reasons. Shakopee is way closer to me than buffalo. They used EFI. And a good friend referred them to me.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure I'm impressed by the Tune. I feel like they only tuned WOT. The idle on my Baby cam feels really lobey. The Car shakes alot at idle. I've read that a 226/226 cam should be pretty civil if tuned correctly. I also had to have them retune the idle because it kept dying after RPM to neutral pulling up to a stop signs. It would bounce of zero and go to 1500 or so and than flat line. After the adjustment, now RPMs fall really slow to idle and idle at 1100 until I come to a complete stop. Frustrating. I also have the unexplained IDC of 86% (442RWHP) on 46lb Fast injectors when my Stock 36lb only needed 80% for 420RWHP? I can't help but think she is running really Rich. Not to mention I thought I should get more out of my Mods than 442RWHP. I have the EFI file if anyone is willing to peek at it. I don't have the logs tho.

All this concern and It cost me 550$ That was more than these other guys wanted, but I hoped for a top notch tune and was willing to pay more for the proximity of them. BTW, they charged me 50$ for a Credit. I was told that was BS cause EFI doesn't use Credits like HP does....

So.....Long story short, I'm not happy and I'm now convinced that I need to Buy EFI and a Wideband O2 and learn this tuning crap for myself. I'm left thinking that nobody will care as much as I would about how spot on my tune will be. In my business, I take great pride in giving my customers the best end result possible. I wish everyone operated like this.

-DOA
This is the best thing to do at this point. The initial cost and learning curve may be high, but it will pay dividends down the road and you won't have to be at the mercy at someone else when change your setup in the future. I use EFILive and can help you get set up and started tuning yourself. I tuned both of the vehicles in my sig by myself. It's a great feeling of accomplishment. Shoot me a PM if you want.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transam69230
Wow after reading all these posts all I can say is told you so! Should have went with CJ tunes.
Well, Hindsight is 20/20. I had to get a tune ASAP and there was 15 days between me asking and the various recommendations I got...
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
This is the best thing to do at this point. The initial cost and learning curve may be high, but it will pay dividends down the road and you won't have to be at the mercy at someone else when change your setup in the future. I use EFILive and can help you get set up and started tuning yourself. I tuned both of the vehicles in my sig by myself. It's a great feeling of accomplishment. Shoot me a PM if you want.
I Appreciate this. I think I should just do it. I didn't have the luxury of time on the vette cause I needed it running ASAP. But now I have time on the Truck. I'll probably contact you.

My only other option would be if CJ tunes will bail me out of this bad tune if I have him do both my truck and Car again. Anyone know what software he uses?

-DOA
Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Carl (CJ Tunes) has the capabilities to use either HP tuners or EFI live to tune.

Quick Reply: Tuning in MN