Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Should I sell my 1996 Caprice 9C1 LT1 because of emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my 1996 Caprice 9C1 LT1 because of emissions?

I'm so confused with what I should do, I love my car and It's my first vehicle I've ever owned but the emissions part pisses me off. I bought the car last August for $3000 with 109638 miles on It threw a craigslist ad in Oak Lawn, Illinois.

My friend warned me you do not want a 1996 because of emissions just keep looking for a 1995 but I was way to Impatient and when I checked out this car and seen how clean It was I couldn't resist. So you can't delete smog pump, cut off cats or anything and I want to do serious things to my car and eventually do a LSX swap.

what do you guys think, I'm thinking about selling it and buying a 1995 Impala eventually when I can afford one.

Here's a picture of the day I bought my ride, I took this literally right down the street from the guys house I just bought It from, we had to throw some plates on there real quick then jumped on the highway to get home.

Last edited by Joey Forbes; 07-21-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all do they check??? Emissions here in Tennessee are a joke, they check for a cat converter, read your pcm for codes, and check your gas cap on 96 and newer. Basically if you don't have a check engine light on you pass. I know the people who work at these places are easily to bribe as well, they make just a little more than minimum wage and look like they came out of prison last week.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
What all do they check??? Emissions here in Tennessee are a joke, they check for a cat converter, read your pcm for codes, and check your gas cap on 96 and newer. Basically if you don't have a check engine light on you pass. I know the people who work at these places are easily to bribe as well, they make just a little more than minimum wage and look like they came out of prison last week.
Haha yeah I guess here In Chicago they do the same, they check for codes and possibly check on the cats and the super duper turbine turbo of a smog pump on the LT1's that do absolutely nothing.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have most of that stuff removed, but you have to have it tuned afterwards so that it will run correctly and not throw any codes. Smog testing is only a reason to sell a car when you don't know how to fix it.

Do some research and have it tuned it will not be a issue.

It looks like a nice ride, don't get rid of it.