Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Progress today ,well they finished making both of the mufflers today.The passenger side muffler is installed and looks good. Tomorrow they will finish the horizontal pipe crossover to the drivers side ,install the driver side muffler ,tips and some hangers it will be done.They ordered the tips and they came in today but they will have to be cut down to fit. The tips are stainless steel turn downs.The mufflers they made are custom, stainless steel oval 71/2" x 4 x 12" offset- offset. Sorry did not take any pics today but I will tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good! I called yesterday around 5:30 and talked to Joe about doing a custom y for me in the spring. He said he was hoping to be done yours today. Is he mandrel bending all that?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I posted up pics on www.fquick.com/omc8 of the work done yesterday.Yes the exhaust is done, it was completed today ,I will post up pics of the completed job tomorrow.But it looks good and sounds great.I have not driven the car yet , I have to install the hood , drain the old gas out and put some fresh it .Then it will be ready for a test drive.But it sounds great. The thing unique to my system is that no one has noticed is there are no 90 degree bends leading into the narrow throat X pipe and the mufflers used. I will go into more detail about the mufflers later.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Sounds good! I called yesterday around 5:30 and talked to Joe about doing a custom y for me in the spring. He said he was hoping to be done yours today. Is he mandrel bending all that?
No its not mandrel and its not stainless except the mufflers and the tips. They don't have a mandrel bender in the shop, if you want mandrel they can order the bends you need for your job . But the design needs to be layed out first , you just need to consult with Joe for a design plan so he knows what you want.Next time I do this I probably will do mandrel , it will be very easy for them to copy my system now thats its done, he has degree cards for the bends . This was a first in many respects , the design 3" over , the style of X pipe I wanted , and making these mufflers.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

You know now that you mention it, I was wondering why he fabbed up the x-pipe instead of buying one. Also, he made those mufflers? That's pretty sweet, but why did you go that route?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know now that you mention it, I was wondering why he fabbed up the x-pipe instead of buying one. Also, he made those mufflers? That's pretty sweet, but why did you go that route?
Well they made the X pipe because I wanted a C6 corvette style, Jegs has one close to what I wanted for 90 dollars ,but it was just as easy for them to make it incase of any adjustment was needed. There is a exhaust vendor that had a X pipe , but I lost their name and address.The muffler that I wanted to use was a Borla Pro XS #40359 but its case is too wide to fit up behide the rear bumper. The muffler they start with is the same size 14" x 4" x 9 1/2" they cut it down to 7 1/2" open it up ,stuff it with a special material .And they re cope the end caps and reweld the case back . The end result is a offset -offset 14 x 4 x 7 1/2" muffler ,similar to Kooks 300-12 . The sound is just great , I took it for a test drive today and Im very HAPPY with it they did a great job.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics of the completed job are now posted up. I will give more details tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks great! How loud is it? I would imagine those shortened mufflers could be pretty loud, but I'm sure it does sound great being TDs. Do you have a sound clip?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are 2 pics on 2nd day of the install , hope these post up.Just resized them.
Attached Thumbnails Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-002-resize.jpg   Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-tds-3-inch-over-axel-001-resize.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great! How loud is it? I would imagine those shortened mufflers could be pretty loud, but I'm sure it does sound great being TDs. Do you have a sound clip?
Amazingly the mufflers are not loud at all ,they are pretty quite at idle but come to life at 2 grand .They have good deep tone ,nice rumble, no rasp or drone sound at all.The mufflers were not shortened the case was narrowed by 2" which was less than 20% area volume reduction.They are still 14" long which is 2" longer than the Kooks muffler that I compared it to. Let me say this , the engine is not broke in yet and I have yet to take it over 3 grand no WOT runs til then.I will post a sound clip here first.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, looking forward to hearing it! Just out of curiosity, could you post or pm me how much it cost if you don't mind?

Scott
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Resized pics

The final completed job are posted up on www.fquick.com/omc8 click vehicle pic then go to back to all albums.Check these out !
Attached Thumbnails Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-tds-3-inch-over-axel-006-resize.jpg   Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-tds-3-inch-over-axel-007-resize.jpg   Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-tds-3-inch-over-axel-008-resize.jpg   Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-tds-3-inch-over-axel-011-resize.jpg   Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop-tds-3-inch-over-axel-018-resize.jpg  

Quick Reply: Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop