Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Street tunes near Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ds98formula
I personally know a good amount of people that go there. I also go to the open house ever year witch is always packed. Not saying that there is noone with problems with speed inc just saying this is first I have heard of it. Any rate OP sounds like you have plenty of good options around the Chicago land area. Let us know how it turns out
Of course speed inc is going to have many satisfied customers, I'm not saying they don't. But they also have quite a few unsatisfied customers that I've spoke with personally and they all, including myself experienced the same problems with their tuning. Mainly poor street manners and driveability issues.
On the other hand, every single person I've spoke with that has gone to FMS for tuning has mentioned they were completely satisfied.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny....I have 160lb high impedance injectors tuned by Jim over at Speed Inc. Purrs like a kitten on the street and roars like a lion at the track.

Not sure I would take seriously a guy who states "'00 Corvette M6- H/C/I and a bunch of other ****" in their signiiture.

I hang with a lot of racers and I've not heard 1 that got a tune or a spark plug changed by FMS.

Speed inc has done thousands of tunes. You don't stay in business by having a lot of issues. Word gets around fast!

I would definitely find the name of the actual tuner to see what his or her reputation is. Jim from Speed Inc. regularly posts on this board. He builds some of the finest restomods and restorations I've ever seen. He's been flown out to Dubai to tune for folks out there all expenses paid.

Here's some links to give you an idea of his work:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...76r-390ci.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...le-malibu.html

I'm an old racer...been around for a long time. I don't think you can go wrong with Jim as your tuner. I've had no experiance with FMS at all. Never heard of a 1 getting a tune from them. Not sure who does the work. They may be very good. But to put Speed Inc's tuner down just doesn't sit well with me.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

See that's odd I have two cars tuned by Speed and have been with them since they were mail order only and could not be happier. As for FMS being better I beg to differ, I have experience with them and seen several of they're cars run sub par at the track and one tbss unable to pass emissions until Speed inc fixed it. I can go into more detail in pm I'm not a shop basher like the FMS customers
Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Of course speed inc is going to have many satisfied customers, I'm not saying they don't. But they also have quite a few unsatisfied customers that I've spoke with personally and they all, including myself experienced the same problems with their tuning. Mainly poor street manners and driveability issues.
On the other hand, every single person I've spoke with that has gone to FMS for tuning has mentioned they were completely satisfied.
LOL you got to be kidding me? FMS couldn't tune a ******* guitar bud!
FMS is so great at tuning that they tuned a friend of mines truck with a steel driveshaft to 150mph + and blew it to pieces along with the trans case.... Speed inc knows better then that.

Speed inc has tuned EVERY fast ls1 in chicago!!! I'm sure your 13.0 junk *** corvette wouldn't be an issue.

LOL... ******* rookies
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the kind words.

R6cowboy, you emailed me after the tune stating you drove it a few thousand miles then started having some driveability issues. I told you that if it just started happening after you had that much time on it you possibly had a bad o2 sensor or other issue but bring it by and I will scan it and diagnose the problem.

You then responded saying that you changed the maf and exhaust and brought the car to fast for a tune and you wanted a refund. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. You got what you paid for and the offer to check you car for whatever issue it had was on the table. Because you declined and went somewhere else does not entitle you to a refund but I guess you think it does since you rant about how horrible we are every chance you get.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

So when his tires go bald does he Bitch at Good Year for a refund too?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM

This guy has a 13.0 vette... I wouldn't even bother if I had slow **** like that.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Glad you guys like speed Inc. Getting a dyne tune by them on the 4th, can't wait!
So any numbers yet it the 4th
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

sweetC5 - Saw the car outside Speed INC tonight. Sounded great.

R6cowboy - I feel as if I already read this same story somewhere. You can dig up negative stuff about ANY place. Speed INC has been around what ten years? They have worked on thousands of cars. Im sure with that kinda volume you will year about a negative review once in a while. People most always report the bad, and never the good. Not to mention you never hear both sides of the story. I know people that had a bad experience as FMS, so its not like they have a perfect track record.

Speed INC, has done work on my Z06, my TA, my GTP, and my old TA. Also alot of my friends cars. I will continue to bring my junk to Speed INC as I have recieved nothing but great customer serivce, quality work, and awesome prices. Tom is a nice guy with excellent customer service. He has replied to my emails after hours, and on the weekends. He does not **** around. Larry had the same dedication.

I have no personal experience with Brandon or FMS other then some email conversations about work I was looking to get done. He seems like a very busy guy, also sounds like he is pretty much running the shop himself.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol at Captain Motivation
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Launching!

I will be going to Speed Inc to get my exhaust done in the next couple of weeks. Tony has responded to all of my emails quickly and with no bullshit. Been straight forward with me on prices and delivery dates. I will continue to keep refering customer's over there and I will continue myself to keep doing business with them, ESPECIALLY when I need to get it tuned after seeing other cars perform after being tuned over there.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

What I think is funny is everyone bashing eachother on a thread looking for a STREET tune.

Put out your suggestion and STFU.

Its like a bunch of sharks that smell blood in the water. For all the Haters of a shop or another, put your 2 cents in and let the guy make his decision. But for ***** sake, every nut swinger in the world just walked into and flamed out this thread AFTER the decision was already made.

At the end of the day, all that matters is if the owner of a car is happy with his services.

Up until I read through this I have never heard of FMS... I have had my car tuned at Speed once, and then more recently at Straightline. Both shops did a decent tune. Speeds tune made some good numbers at the track.... Havent taken the car back on the current straightline tune, but it drives great on the street with a bit better DD behavior and put down good power, and the ole *** dyno felt the difference. Mind you the setup changed so its apples to oranges as to which shop did a better job.

Either of those two are good options. I will say that in my case the customer service at straightline was better. But take that for what its worth.

As for the 13.0 vette statement, really? His money spends the same as the rest of ours. It shouldnt matter if its a 30 second chevette or a 8 second rocket.

Last edited by twizted_creations; 04-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
What I think is funny is everyone bashing eachother on a thread looking for a STREET tune.

Put out your suggestion and STFU.

Its like a bunch of sharks that smell blood in the water. For all the Haters of a shop or another, put your 2 cents in and let the guy make his decision. But for ***** sake, every nut swinger in the world just walked into and flamed out this thread AFTER the decision was already made.

At the end of the day, all that matters is if the owner of a car is happy with his services.

Up until I read through this I have never heard of FMS... I have had my car tuned at Speed once, and then more recently at Straightline. Both shops did a decent tune. Speeds tune made some good numbers at the track.... Havent taken the car back on the current straightline tune, but it drives great on the street with a bit better DD behavior and put down good power, and the ole *** dyno felt the difference. Mind you the setup changed so its apples to oranges as to which shop did a better job.

Either of those two are good options. I will say that in my case the customer service at straightline was better. But take that for what its worth.

As for the 13.0 vette statement, really? His money spends the same as the rest of ours. It shouldnt matter if its a 30 second chevette or a 8 second rocket.
It does matter about his junk... when FMS customers are always going out of their way to bash speed inc.

You ever see straightline or speed inc get into it? NO! because they are respectable shops with good owners. So I do agree with you on the bashing but sometimes it's an eye for an eye
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah but the customers do.. FMS isnt in here talking ****, customers are. And that happens all the time, with all shops customers, you cant control that.

My point is this, give an opinion on which shop to use and your experience, then let the the OP make a choice. Every one of these posts turns into swingers from each shop arguing over whom is better...

And no offense but as a moderator in this section, I would expect you to not continue the negative trend, and put the thread back on track.

Which reminds me, I had a question for you, Do you know a guy named Kenny, who runs machine shop outta elk grove, and a fab shop by his house?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Besides, FMS isnt a vendor, and both speed and straightline are...

Someone should smack his pee pee for promoting a non vendor!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ lmao^^^
Clown
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys car is done! It did not pull the numbers I wanted but I guess my home made intake and exhaust sucks! The tuner said it's holding me back and I could see about 450 when i swap that out, and I should at lest get the intake and come back.

It put down 432hp 423tq, so i am about 70 up from a avg stock pull! They seem to have put a good tune on it, it drives like a new car! The power curve is awesome though, power is way up over stock even at 2500, it will rost the tires cruising at 2k and just punching it without any clutch action. The car always felt soft until 3500, but now it has sick power right through the hole rev range! I will be hitting the track in 3weeks, it would trap 112 with just headers and the car feels like a beast compared to that! Pretty pumped to see how much it picks up on that 12.60.

As for speed, everyone seems pretty cool. The owner is a very nice guy! I do feel my idle is set to high, but they do plan on bringing it down for me tomorrow. I am happy with the drivability, seems very good and the power gain across the bored is what I am really happy about. They also gave me a good deal on my tune also and things are tight so I great full for that.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome. What track you going to go to?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

I would say speed inc, even though you already went for obd-2 cars. They dont tune obd-1 cars anymore : (
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Bunch of us are planed for great lakes on the 22nd, about 30 camaros, and 15 guys from some mustang club so far

Quick Reply: Street tunes near Chicago?