Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Street tunes near Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that, good luck at the track!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not here to start a war or have people call my car 13second junk because im going against the grain, but the fact of the matter is that we all have a choice as to who we want to tune our cars. I've spoken to quite a few people about where to go for my tune. Ive been on starightlines dyno a couple times(Mikey is an awesome guy), I've bought parts from speed Inc and received great help with my build strategy, i had brandon@FMS flash my PCM with a base tune that worked flawlessly from first startup, and I've even had Larry@AMS help me to get my car tuned on pump.

All of these guys and vendors are solid, but for what it's worth my TA is at FMS because Brandon is the best guy for the job and the turbo lsx guys I know personally have had a great experience with him.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a turbo ls1.

Any none speed inc tuned cars want trouble?

Simple question.

stock block
stock heads
stock crank
stock intake
stock pcm
etc.....

LOCK THE **** UP!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

So lets see, the list of Speed Inc tuned Turbo cars, Outlaw Drag radial winner Anthony, Outlaw Drag radial winner LASTLS1, KOTS winner LT1CAMAROMAN, Haider, Charlie, the rest of the Indiana turbo cars and the list goes on. Lets see the accomplished list of FMS tuned turbo cars again.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

I would need 3 busses and the hit sir. I am still slow.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
So lets see, the list of Speed Inc tuned Turbo cars, Outlaw Drag radial winner Anthony, Outlaw Drag radial winner LASTLS1, KOTS winner LT1CAMAROMAN, Haider, Charlie, the rest of the Indiana turbo cars and the list goes on. Lets see the accomplished list of FMS tuned turbo cars again.
I don't think anyone is disputing that SpeedInc has made some fast cars. Even if I had speed inc tune my car, I wouldn't expect to run with any of those guys as I'm not breaking records and winning KOTS. The problem is that I chose who I thought would give me a better tune at the normal customer level. I doubt that any normal customer such as myself would get the level of service of any of those guys you listed or mods on this board at speed inc.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of speed inc. I like buying my stuff from them and have had my short block sent out by speed inc to get forged. Parts wise, everything is good and they know their ****. I've probably dropped 6-8k in parts in the last year through speed inc and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

So with spending that kind of money there you thought you would be treated like average? You don't think we all started somewhere? My first purchase was a set of mac mid length headers, we all start somewhere man, it's called building relationships.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
So with spending that kind of money there you thought you would be treated like average? You don't think we all started somewhere? My first purchase was a set of mac mid length headers, we all start somewhere man, it's called building relationships.
I was treated well and built a pretty good relationship with Brian and Tony. Both those guys had helped me out quite a bit and honestly they are the first guys I reach out to when I need something quickly.

However, you nailed it when you said "thought you would be treated like average". Speed inc shouldn't treat their customers differently. If I dropped my car off with a 15k dollar check then I'd expect to have a badass turbo car at the end. Why should a guy looking for a simple dyno tune after doing his own H/C/I install be treated less just because they have less money vested in speed inc? It's a reoccurring theme that I am hearing and seeing more and more in the aftermarket industry when it comes to the bigger shops. Some highly reputable shops become less approachable by the average customer asking for simple things. It's actually a compliment and a testament to how great speed inc is, but with that comes the varying levels of customer service that IMO should be indifferent. My compliments to straightline because those guys are the same regardless if it's a simple couple pulls on the dyno for cheap or taking on a big build with more potential for profit.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

We treat every customer with the same amount of respect and courtesy, regardless of dollars spent. We answer emails and from the guy buying an $16 skip shift eliminator just as promptly as the guy building the 20k turbo car. Modding generally starts at the entry level, working up as time goes on. Not only would it be against my ethics, but it would be bad business to treat the "little guy" like he was unimportant.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Speed inc awnsered tons of my emails befor I ever even bought anything. And after hours at that
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Not that it matters much, but I want to vouch for Tom and Speed too. He bent over backwards earlier this year to take care of an issue I had on a gear install. Some of the best customer service I've ever received!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
R6cowboy, you emailed me after the tune stating you drove it a few thousand miles then started having some driveability issues. I told you that if it just started happening after you had that much time on it you possibly had a bad o2 sensor or other issue but bring it by and I will scan it and diagnose the problem.

You then responded saying that you changed the maf and exhaust and brought the car to fast for a tune and you wanted a refund. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. You got what you paid for and the offer to check you car for whatever issue it had was on the table. Because you declined and went somewhere else does not entitle you to a refund but I guess you think it does since you rant about how horrible we are every chance you get.
First off, I NEVER asked for a refund. I looked at our past emails and a refund was never brought up, never asked for, so I have no clue were you come up with that. I emailed you after approximately putting 1,000 miles on the car within 4 weeks after tuning. I told you I was unsatisfied how the car was running ever since it was tuned. I informed you of the issues the car was having the entire time; the terrible exhaust fumes, the engine constantly revving down nearly dying out when engaging the clutch, the engine sporadically wanting to idle at 1500 to 2000 rpm for no apparent reason, excessive surging and lets not forget the times you accidentally messed up the "basic tune" on my pcm which you caught your mistake after the second time, then told me you would discount my dyno tune because of the troubles but I never did receive a discount. The driveability issues were always there and I mentioned that. You did tell me I could bring the car in and you'll see if you could diagnose the problem, which was nice on your part and it was appreciated.

Shortly after emailing you I spoke with FMS and I was very impressed. Enough to not take you up on your offer to look at the car again and just went straight to FMS. And out of all honesty I'm glad I did, even though it cost me more money I got exactly what I wanted the first time and I was very satisfied. As far as changing the exhaust and maf that you mentioned, all I changed on the exhaust was swap out the stock C5 mufflers with C5 Z06 mufflers just days before I took it to FMS. So that would not effect tuning at all. And the stock 75mm maf was swapped out at FMS for a stock C6 85mm maf ONLY so I could use a blackwing air intake because the dual cone intake I had on before didn't fit too well. And in the end there were no mechanical failures found like a bad o2 sensor that would've caused the driveability issues. If you don't believe what I say that's fine I really don't care. But I surely in the hell am not making up some outrageous story or claims.

And I don't know where you come off saying I rant how horrible Speed Inc is every chance I get. Please show me of all these times I've ranted about Speed Inc that you speak of. Because I know for fact there is only one time I mention getting unsatisfactory service from Speed Inc on the internet. I think that's just an assumption on your part.

Even though I had a less then fortunate experience with Speed Inc, I can't justify coming off like they can't or aren't able to do good work. Because it's obvious they have done some very good work and built some great cars. One customer's unfortunate experience certainly doesn't speak entirely for a shop. So I have no problem apologizing if I came off that way.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 04-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes your car would not start upon receiving the first start up file from me so I changed an incorrect parameter thinking it would correct the problem. When it still wouldn't start we overnighted you a new GM PCM.

When it still wouldn't start you trailered the car to me and I diagnosed your bad fuel pump. Yes there was a mistake in the file which was promptly corrected but we certainly didn't need to buy and overnight you a new PCM when you had no fuel pressure.

"Hello Jim,

Thought I’d fill you in on the status of the car. After we noticed the low fuel pressure, I installed a new fuel pump and filter/pressure regulator. The car now runs fantastic with the stock pcm. The car was NOT ran at all with the new pcm you sent me and I returned it back to Speed Inc. Exhaust smells pretty rich but that’s it. I’ve put approximately 300 miles on the car since last weekend with no “hick-ups”. Very, very little surging at low rpm’s and it pulls real nice. I’ve ran it up to 5k a few times but no further, don’t want to run it real hard before dialing it in on the dyno. The car half *** kept up with my R6 thru 3rd gear, partially into 4th, from a 45 roll short shifting at 5k with my midget 145 lb brother riding it. We were quite surprised.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and can’t wait to get it on the dyno in a couple weeks.

Thanks,"

I deleted the rest of your emails and don't recall the exact wording but you did contact me after having another shop work on the car asking for a refund.

Regardless, as soon as you told me you were having issues I said bring it by so I can diagnose it. You saw me take your car out on the road for drivability tuning after it was calibrated on the dyno and when you were handed the keys it was spot on in terms of idle, fuel trims, drivability/etc. It took you 4 weeks and 1000 miles to realize it was horrible? You didn't bring me the car so obviously there is nothing else I could do for you at that point.

So overnighting you a new PCM you didn't need, diagnosing your fuel pump for free then offering to diagnose your car as soon as you mentioned it having an issue is "very poor" service?

In my opinion your assessment is a bit unfair.

Sorry we didn't get things straightened out for you. Given the opportunity, we would have.

Last edited by qqwqeqwrqwqtq; 04-08-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Yes your car would not start upon receiving the first start up file from me so I changed an incorrect parameter thinking it would correct the problem. When it still wouldn't start we overnighted you a new GM PCM.

When it still wouldn't start you trailered the car to me and I diagnosed your bad fuel pump. Yes there was a mistake in the file which was promptly corrected but we certainly didn't need to buy and overnight you a new PCM when you had no fuel pressure.

Regardless, as soon as you told me you were having issues I said bring it by so I can diagnose it. You saw me take your car out on the road for drivability tuning after it was calibrated on the dyno and when you were handed the keys it was spot on in terms of idle, fuel trims, drivability/etc. It took you 4 weeks and 1000 miles to realize it was horrible? You didn't bring me the car so obviously there is nothing else I could do for you at that point.

So overnighting you a new PCM you didn't need, diagnosing your fuel pump for free then offering to diagnose your car as soon as you mentioned it having an issue is "very poor" service?

In my opinion your assessment is a bit unfair.

Sorry we didn't get things straightened out for you. Given the opportunity, we would have.
Let me correct this exactly. My car would not start up right upon receiving the first start up file from you. So I sent the pcm back to you to reflash it at your request. After receiving the pcm the 2nd time the car still would not run right. That's when you sent me a brand new GM pcm, which was great I might add. After receiving the new pcm the car still would not run right. That's when you realized you set a parameter for an automatic trans instead of a manual trans. Simple mistake, I was actually very glad it wasn't something major. So I sent my stock pcm back to you to reflash it with the manual trans parameter. When I got the pcm back the car fired right up. It ran for about 20 minutes then died and wouldn't start back up after that. Obviously that's when the fuel pump went out. This happened the day before my scheduled dyno tune and I called Speed Inc as soon as it happened to notify them about the situation then decided to trailered the car up anyway the next morning. Then you diagnosed the bad fuel pump and the dyno tune was rescheduled. You certainly were very prompt when all this was going down and very helpful. Sending me a new pcm at no cost was awesome indeed.

By the way, I never saw you take my car out on the road. I don't know why you would even think that because I wasn't even at the shop the entire time you were tuning my car. And no, it didn't take me 4 weeks and 1000 miles to realize the issues I mentioned. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have procrastinated that long before finally deciding I needed to say something about it.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 AM
9 Second Club

All I can recommend is do your own research and figure out what shop is best for you. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED INC.
We treat every customer with the same amount of respect and courtesy, regardless of dollars spent. We answer emails and from the guy buying an $16 skip shift eliminator just as promptly as the guy building the 20k turbo car. Modding generally starts at the entry level, working up as time goes on. Not only would it be against my ethics, but it would be bad business to treat the "little guy" like he was unimportant.
Tom,

I'd like to thank you, Tony, Nick and the rest of the guys there at Speed, Inc. for taking care of me. I'm new to the F-Body scene (you could call me a little guy at this point), and admittedly not the most mechanical guy in the world, but every time I've had a question, your guys have always treated me like I've been doing business with you for years. Your shop took a look at my Camaro yesterday as I felt something was up with the exhaust. Your team was courteous, fast, efficient. They made some adjustments and the car has never sounded better. To top it off, it didn't cost me a nickel, which I was very grateful for. Keep up the great customer service! I'll be back as I start adding mods to my '10 2SS I just picked up a couple weeks ago.

Chris
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

When you don't give a shop a chance to correct a possible "at fault" problem I feel you have no right to complain.

The facts are this.... Speed has tuned my car from a 13.3 car 10 yrs ago to my current 7.40 car. Jim tuned my STREET DRIVEN 8.2 car and it drove great!!!

I was so confident in Jim's tune I didn't even pull a plug all weekend at Braidenton, FL a few weeks ago (that I won). That was running 7.4x all weekend. I'm around races and race cars alot!!! There's not another person on earth I would want tuning my car.

Anyways yes people can say I'm a Speed Inc guy because they do all my work. Yes this is true, BUT it's because they won my business and confidence over the past 10 yrs.

Last edited by LASTLS1; 04-15-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I'm just waiting for someone to email me back about my car so I can step foot into the modding world.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^whAt are you trying to say here?
What are you talking about?
Who?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Not trying to Hi-jack this thread as I am also looking for a reputable shop to do a tune on my recently finished 383 lt1. However, everyone I seem to talk to tells me to not even waste my time calling Speed Inc. because they refuse to work on basically all lt1's. Is this true? IF so, how does this fit in with your idea of treating every customer the same whether it be a 17 dollar part or a full turbo build? I would love to take my car to speed inc. for a tune as I hear great things about them. Let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Street tunes near Chicago?