Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Looking for a good tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a good tuner

I just had a 408 built but texas speed. I need to get the car tuned soon. Anyone no anything about ams tuning ls based cars for sound performance? I have had a car done at speed inc and loved it but kind of want to stay away for certain reasons. Also I WILL NOT go to straight line. I had huge problems with them in the past and will not give them any business. I've heard sound performance and ams do good work but this was all word of mouth. Any ideas guys?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to suggest Straightline Performance or Speed Inc, but since you want to stay away from both of them I would say look into Finish Line Performance in Naperville. I personally have never dealt with them but I have heard great things about them, word of mouth as well. I was originally going to take my car there (2 mins down the street from me) but straightline's prices were better for me at the time. Haven't heard much about sound performance or ams, hopefully someone else will chime in with first hand experience!

Mike
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah straight line I had a lot of problems with and I'm looking for a true dyno. Ill check up flt n look at reviews on them. I don't care if I spend a couple extra bucks I just want someone who will take their time n get a "perfect" tune for me. Anyone else?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I've done business with FLP in Naperville before. Great shop, I would certainly go back. Top quality work, in my experience. They were a sponsor of this site for many years, and their spin-off trans business (FLT) still is.

Speed Inc. is also a great choice.

I have no personal experience with Straightline, so therefore no opinion.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Don't rule out Beyond Redline in Green Bay. My previous best mph at the track was 115 on a day with a DA of 600. After a tune at Beyond Redline, the car consistenly ran 116.5 on a day with a miserable DA of 3500. Thats a nice boost in realistic power. Drivability in my car improved quite a bit too, which can be challenging in a stock LS1 with an MS3.
As far as realistic dyno..... my car previously made 401rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. After the tune at Beyond Redline, it made 390 on a DynoJet. That spread on those two different dynos tell me Beyond Redline's is very accurate and not ego-inspiring . In fact, Wallace racing calculators projects my cars HP at 470hp flywheel based on weight and MPH. Take around 18% drivetrain loss from that, and you get 390rwhp..... Can't get much closer than that!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks ill check them out too. I was going to trailor the car to Texas speed to have them tune it but the DA is what's keeping me from doing. Otherwise they would have the car right now
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

just wanted to clarify something real fast.... SPEED INC DOES AWESOME WORK. i have been a customer for years and will continue to buy parts/have work done at their shop. i just wanted to see what other new options are out there. to be honest i will probably end up going back to speed inc to have the work done. i just wanted a little info on sound and ams.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were going to trailer it to Texas? For a tune? If speed inc is close just go back. He tunes some of the fastest cars out there.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

West Bend Dyno in Wisconsin does awesome work also.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my car Built By Speed Inc. The owner Tom is the man Love there work and the techs and service writers are very nice and Jim can tune a car just tell him what you want! I would do it again but a turbo car next time!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for a good tuner