Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Moving to Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Indiana

Hey guys,

Going to be a proud new resident of Indiana in a few weeks. Leaving this craphole Los Angeles finally. Going to try to sell my Trans Am before leaving, but not going to sell it for next to nothing.

So if I do end up shipping it out there, what are your smog laws like? What will I have to do to get it registered in IN?

Vehicle has a cam, long tubes, no cats, no AIR. Obviously doesn't pass CA smog, but I know people here.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Hey, What part of Indiana will you be moving to?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jdz8902
Hey, What part of Indiana will you be moving to?
The south, just north of Louisville.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

As far as I know, there a a couple counties in up in the northern part of the state with emissions regs. You should be good down south. The vast majority of the state does not have to deal with any real regs.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
As far as I know, there a a couple counties in up in the northern part of the state with emissions regs. You should be good down south. The vast majority of the state does not have to deal with any real regs.
Cool!

What about registering the vehicle for IN. Do you have to take it for some kind of inspection?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Lake and Porter have emissions testing =( but someone was telling me he cut the cats off his Camaro and she still passes. Not sure I wanna try it though haha
Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
Cool!

What about registering the vehicle for IN. Do you have to take it for some kind of inspection?
I am fairly certain the employees at the license branch can do the out of state inspections now. I know I just recently (within the last month) purchased an out of state vehicle and the employee that helped me went out to the vehicle and verified the VIN. That's all I needed to do. You might shoot them an email and ask about what all is needed. Speaking from personal experience they are pretty good about replying in a 24hr period.

Indiana BMV

Originally Posted by bleumorpho
Lake and Porter have emissions testing =( but someone was telling me he cut the cats off his Camaro and she still passes. Not sure I wanna try it though haha
Yeah, I thought they were up in the northwest part of the state.
I'm just glad they haven't gone to the dual license plates here in Indiana.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
Hey guys,

Going to be a proud new resident of Indiana in a few weeks. Leaving this craphole Los Angeles finally. Going to try to sell my Trans Am before leaving, but not going to sell it for next to nothing.
Glad to here, there is nothing to worry about on the emissions side other then the 2 or 3 NW counties near Chicago. I just had to have an officer check out my car (VIN) when i bought my SS out of state but that was 5 years ago.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

VIN CHECK and you should be good to go. As stated Lake and Porter counties in NW Indiana still have emissions programs but you should be clear any where south of there. Welcome to the heartland!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

for 98-2002 cars in lake county IN.
its not the sniffer test, its the OBD-2 PORT test with no visual test other than a gas cap check.

we have passed it with several cam cars with duel exhaust.....

indiana is gonna be a bit different to live in compared to cali.

good luck with your move!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, and thanks guys.

Hopefully I can sell it, but good to know I won't have to deal with the smog ***** we have out here if not. Would like to get into a C6 z06 once I buy a house.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Lake County and emissions testing is no problem. I have an 07 vette with a 440" LS7. Cam is .670/.670. 252/260 duration and passed emssions. Gotta love HPTuners! Good luck on your move. The worst thing to deal with is winter here. Also great choice with the next car.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Where in SE indiana are you moving? Possibly the scottsburg area? I used to live down there. Moved up to norther ripley county.

Getting it registered here will probably be a million times easier than out in cali!

Also, my buddy who lives in scott county knows a guy who works pretty high up over at Unleashed Performance. Met him once, pretty cool dude! I might be able to hook you up with some hard to find parts/local knowledge if needed.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9sec93
I am in Lake County and emissions testing is no problem. I have an 07 vette with a 440" LS7. Cam is .670/.670. 252/260 duration and passed emssions. Gotta love HPTuners! Good luck on your move. The worst thing to deal with is winter here. Also great choice with the next car.
Good to hear, and thanks!
Originally Posted by ThatOneKid
Where in SE indiana are you moving? Possibly the scottsburg area? I used to live down there. Moved up to norther ripley county.

Getting it registered here will probably be a million times easier than out in cali!

Also, my buddy who lives in scott county knows a guy who works pretty high up over at Unleashed Performance. Met him once, pretty cool dude! I might be able to hook you up with some hard to find parts/local knowledge if needed.
Yea I'll actually be renting an apartment in Scottsburg until I buy a home, hopefully around March.

I did just sell the TA though, so don't have to worry about it now.

Have another question for the homeowners. What are your bills for electricity and oil/propane/gas or whatever the hell you use for heating out there? Yea I may be able to afford a $300k mortgage with a 4000sqft home or some ****, but not if its going to cost like $400 a month in utilities.

Live in L.A. Never even turned the heater on in my life lol. Live in a 1350sqft condo, so my power is around $50/mo, gas $10. But yea for the price I rent this condo for, I could get a huge house in IN.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 AM
On The Tree

I'm all electric in a a 8yr old home and I pay right around $220 per month on the budget plan.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm rural. remc elec is salty. vectren gas runs me about $20 mo in the summer. stove and water heater. gas heat in the winter runs it up to about $80. I keep it at 62. I'm single. 1800 sq ft home.

I think you'll like in. a lot of car stuff around here and homes are reasonable dependent on area.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3,450 SQ FT home built in the last 5 years and I average about $280 - $300 per month for utilities that is summer and winter. I keep it at 67 degrees all the time.

This is in north central Indiana through NIPSCO.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll love the home prices here! My little house is a $315 a month mortgage payment
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'm all electric in a a 8yr old home and I pay right around $220 per month on the budget plan.
Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
3,450 SQ FT home built in the last 5 years and I average about $280 - $300 per month for utilities that is summer and winter. I keep it at 67 degrees all the time.

This is in north central Indiana through NIPSCO.
Damn yea I'm definitely used to low bills. My water, gas and electric combined are under $100/mo here.

Probably have to pay trash and landscaping too. Don't want to get a ridiculous sized yard, definitely under 1 acre.

I should be ok though. As it is I put $1k+ per month into savings. Don't mind putting less in as long as most of my money is going towards owning a home, instead of flushing it renting.

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
You'll love the home prices here! My little house is a $315 a month mortgage payment
Haha damn, that would be great. Lot of those smaller older homes I could probably buy with straight cash.

One of the conditions of my wife agreeing to move out there though was that we get a nice house. Looking in the 250k-300k range. Which honestly I don't mind, have the 20%+ to put down and I'll be buying something we both actually want.

This is what 250k+ gets you where I live currently. 1350 sqft 2 bdrm. Share walls on both sides. So yea I'm looking forward to getting the F out of here.

Quick Reply: Moving to Indiana