HPtuner, tuning, Saab 9-7x question/problem South Bend, IN area

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPtuner, tuning, Saab 9-7x question/problem South Bend, IN area

Sorry for such an ugly thread title.

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i
This 5.3 vortec is equipped with Active Fuel Management (dispacement on demand)

Problem:
Makes noise on deceleration from about 40mph-15mph. Chevy dealership diagnosed problem as timing chain issue/slop. $1800 to replace timing chain.

-side problem: Sometimes when getting up to cruising speed, and setting the cruise, there are just random little rpm surges like it doesn't know what it is doing. Not major, but I notice it.

2nd opinion:
I had a Chevy mechanic moonlighter take it for a spin, and he looked into some TSB's and suggested some PCM/ECM flashes. As he has never heard of doing a timing chain on a 5.3 vortec. Bad news, no one seems to have the computer to do these flashes, and the nearest "Saab" dealership is 4 hours away from me in Lansing, MI.

Here are the service bulletins:
#PIP4503: Erratic TCC Operation at Cruise Speeds
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...MT_360_370.pdf

Reprogram PCM

THIS IS MY MAIN CONCERN:
#06-06-04-056: LH6 Engine Low Speed Deceleration Shudder, Chuggle, or Pulsation
One of the conditions listed that I experience falls in the 25mph down to 15mph (the point where 4cyl mode would be forced back into 8cyl mode)
Another condition listed is that the noise is eliminated if the vehicle is put in D3, which disables 4cyl mode by not going into overdrive.

Reprogram ECM

My thoughts:
I don't know much of anything about HPtuners or the possibility of just tuning 4cyl mode out of a DoD vehicle. If it hurts anything (other than possible mpgs) I've looked for handhelds, but they seem to exclude my model, or say they won't work with my model. And if tuning 4cyl mode out is even going to solve my problem?

Does anyone have any experience at all with what I am asking?
Does anyone know of any tuners local to the SB area?
Should I just drive the pos into a lake?
I actually really like the truck, I am just incredibly annoyed with this little problem.

I also found (of course I can't find it again) a note online, not to replace the timing chain on this problem, as it doesn't solve the noise)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump to see if anyone has any input now.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you a member on TBSS Forums? I'd PM one of the sponsors (PCMofNC) over there for their opinion. Based on what I've read, tuning the Saab is pretty tricky vs. the TBSS, so mail-order tuning won't solve the problem.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: HPtuner, tuning, Saab 9-7x question/problem South Bend, IN area