Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK
View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Go To University (Student Loans)
36.36%
Go To Trade School (No Student Loans)
15.15%
Go to Community College (Smaller Student Loans)
27.27%
Try to get a good job right out of high school
21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

What did you guys do after high school?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i actually got kicked out of HS... was a carpenter for 12 years.. now i work at Quad Graphics on a printing press. I really want to go back to school for sometihng automotive that doesnt have me working in a dealership.......... i can always go back to carpentry or get a job in building maintenience......

do what makes you happy
Old 01-28-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined the Navy, learned avionics repair and now repair medical equipment for past 18 years.

Just a FYI, if you are the type of person that loves to repair things, look at stuff and figure out how to fix, kinda run things thru your head while driving somewhere on how to solve a problem....and have a clean record. Look into medical, laboratory, or basically any type of equipment repair. It won't make you rich but is a decent paycheck and is a decent career.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

If you like to work on things, this might be a good option OP. That or consider engineering if you can hack the math.

The other thought about doing a few years of community college is a good way to save money too.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat as you bud.

I'm going to a "trade" school (UNOH) for diesel technology. Then work for a few years, and maybe go back for business management, and hopefully own my own shop one day. I, like you, like to work and tinker on things. I thought about going to UC for ME, but I'd be on the struggle bus when it came to some of that complex math (not my cup of tea.) 100K+ debt didn't sound fun for me either. Hence the tech school. Whatever you're gonna do, good luck and don't suck!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

long story short I wrenched at a Midas shop during HS and then part time during my two semesters at the community college. I quickly found out that this wasn't for me. I ended up taking a management position at the same Midas at around 21 year old. This worked well for about another 3 years. Made okay money but had a very stressfull position. I found a job at a heat treatment company as an equipment manager. Best thing that's ever happened to me. Still work a lot of hour but the stress isn't as bad and the money is great. If school isn't your thing look into becoming a heat treatment tech. You get to travel the US working in refinerys mostly. Its crazy hours 9 months out of the year but after you get to know your stuff and start running projects you can clear 6 figures easy while taking 3 months off a year.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bhwunder
Going for farm management at Purdue, almost done. After that going home to help run the family farm
Nice ....

I started farming straight out if high school

20yrs later farming 6,000acres corn and beans
Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Went into railroad construction right out of high school, installing the highway grade x-ings and train signal systems. Not a bad gig making $50k+ with no education or real work experience. Saved up a bunch of money by the time I was 21, then fucked off with bs jobs and college until I was 25 and broke.

So I got back into it on the signal system maintenance side. Worked hard and got a few promotions. Just took a management job in Indiana in November and it's great.

Big railroads can start you at ~$28/hr with no experience or training. Plenty of overtime if wanted, but sometimes even if not wanted lol. Very good benefits too. Pretty common for people at my prior company to start with 0 experience and be making over 70k after their first year.

Quick Reply: What did you guys do after high school?